Team Fortress 2 [Archive] - Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

View Full Version : Team Fortress 2

Sykoi
05-29-2007, 01:02 AM
What do you think of TF2? Personally I hope it fails miserably, as Valve is using the Team Fortress name and dragging it through the dirt. Not only are they removing grenades (Frag, conc, EMP, etc.) but they are removing a medic's ability to be a useful class. They are completely changing the gameplay simply so they can put it on a console as well, and it will come back to bite them on the ass.

Video of the developers (http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=64929).

In case you were wondering, yes - I have been playing TF series since the first Quake 1 mod. And after waiting over 6 years for TF2, I'm a bit peeved they have the audacity to use the TF name without the TF :P

Zorbon
05-29-2007, 01:04 AM
not a big tfc fan, so doesn't miff me, i haven't played fps's since i got out of fps modding

Sykoi
05-29-2007, 01:08 AM
TF2 taking out grenades is as if Tatsumaki enforced a class-based gameplay... Its such a dramatic difference in the gameplay and completely changes everything... Now every class no longer has a chance of winning a fight, but soldiers, pyros, HW-Guys and demomen dominate everything close and medium range, snipers dominate long range, and scouts/medics/engineers/etc. are useless in any sort of fight.
(Before a good player could play any class and beat any other class. Now you're forced to play the way THEY want you to, rather than going off the beaten path and, say, using a scout to take down an HW-guy)

Zorbon
05-29-2007, 01:13 AM
Oh i know, i've played it before, millions of times, (i was working on half life mods for 3 or 4 years before i even heard of an mmo) it's just really.. if you don't like it, keep playing tfc. they have an updated copy for quake 4 or hl2 i'm sure

Sykoi
05-29-2007, 03:36 AM
Fortress Forever (http://www.fortress-forever.com)... However I doubt it will be that great, as the developers feel the need to leave some v1.5 features out (Teleporters), without even adding them as an option.

Kamakiri
05-31-2007, 06:30 AM
No Offense Sykoi, but I think that is being a little over-dramatic.

To me it looks like they are actually improving the skill level involved.

Grenades always seemed popular because you could just spam throw 4-8 of the suckers and guarantee a few cheap kills.

Taking out the grenades means you now HAVE to move in a defended position together as a group with other people or just risk being farm-killed over.

Grenades basically allowed you to overcome any obstacle on your own, and any pro players knew that, and don't want that to change.

That is not very ">Team<" Fortress-y now is it?

I think the growing focus on team-work in FPS games is scaring the "old-crowd" who are use to abusing game mechanics(bunny hopping, conc'ing) and OP weapons.

Trust me, I've been playing FPS games since Quake, Doom, etc myself, but I've never been a fan of all the quote "PRO" tactics that were really just cheese to abuse newbs.

I would rather have a game where my skill is tested against any opponent I meet, not just cheese "pro" tactics against people who decided to pick up their first FPS game.

/No offence Sykoi, just my 2 cents.

Raku
05-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Ive never played TFC although im an ignorant FPS fan. May have to check it out soon.

If only they would take grenades out of BF2 :(.

Kamakiri
05-31-2007, 06:41 AM
Yeah, grenades across all FPS games kinda suck, but I do think there is a place for them, it just needs to be a highly-limited place :P

Sykoi
05-31-2007, 08:24 AM
Kamakiri, I've been playing clan matches and against very good players for quite awhile in TFC, and it is -required- to work together as a team in these kinds of matches, and people who spam will generally get killed right away. Grenades add an extra level of gameplay, and spamming is only a problem among new players. If you've ever seen high-ranking clans in matches against each other, you'll see AMAZING grenade work that is a far cry from spamming. The entire team works together, and does so well. Without grenades, and with the classes the way they are - even with drastic changes, will completely unbalance the game and make a lot of classes completely unplayed and useless outside of a small role no one wants to play.

But thats all beside the point, grenades and the method they were used in Team Fortress, were unique to the series, and its what defined it and made it unique. I can almost guarantee the only reason valve took the grenades out, is so that they can put it on the console as well and let the PC and console versions play against each other.

If valve had created a new game, and didn't use the Team Fortress name - I wouldn't care... But they used the Team Fortress name, and as a long time fan of TF/TFC, it drives me insane.

pCubed
05-31-2007, 08:34 AM
Heh. I went and bought Deathmatch classic a few years ago and I have NEVER played it. Not once. I usually stick to counter strike or Day of Defeat. Is deathmatch worth my time?

Sykoi
05-31-2007, 09:02 AM
Deathmatch Classic is Quake 1 using the HL1 engine (Ironically based on Q1), its pretty fun but the gameplay is a bit dated. (You can, however, see where most FPSs get their ideas from :P)

My only complaint is that they didn't completely convert Q1... I would have loved to play SP again, especially the boss fights.

SlappyMcBappy
05-31-2007, 09:38 AM
Slappy plays CS.

pCubed
05-31-2007, 09:44 AM
My apologies. I meant to say Team Fortress Classic. But for some reason it tell me that my ticket has expired. Bizzare.

Vahn
05-31-2007, 10:39 PM
I always hated those games, especailly counter strike. However there is a local LAN coming up, and there will be CSS matches going on. Rather than embarass myself, I loaded up CSS (not having played since the original CS) and was sucked in. I'm not sure how long it will hold me, but for now I enjoy it.

I never got around to getting good at TF, outside of playing it now and then and not really enjoying it (mostly because at the time, I sucked). However, when this new one comes out I will likely check it out, then check out the original, and make a new call.

In any event, while we know they will be taking out grenades, and while that may miff some, I say wait until the game comes out - give it a shot - then tell the world of your anger (or joy). It's fun to postulate on what will happen with games, but it's no fun to be angry at changes in a series you love before you've had a chance to play it. Understand that I'm not saying it isn't valid to be angry, or that it is wrong to voice the anger - I'm just saying it isn't fun to be angry, and I'm all about fun. Also cookies. I'm all about cookies. Also beer.

Sykoi
06-01-2007, 05:37 AM
This is true Vahn, and as a game - it may be fun... However I don't plan on playing it until someone releases serverside modifications that add what Valve took out. Personally I'm probably going to play Fortress Forever a bit more than TF2, but who knows.
I'm not mad that Valve has made a new game, I'm mad that Valve, like so many movie producers and Hollywood in general, has decided to drag a good name through the dirt for their own personal gain.

pCubed
06-01-2007, 10:15 PM
ALOT of people do that. Take in all the shitty Disney sequels as an example.
Cinderella 3? Give me a faggin break! It's disgusting what some people do for money. I haven't played TF2 yet to understand what your talking about but I hate DoD: Source but LOVE the original.

Vahn
06-01-2007, 10:30 PM
I haven't had a chance to play DoD: Source. I loved the original, but have been loath to shell out money for the Source version