PSP Firmware 2.0 is here! [Archive] - Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

View Full Version : PSP Firmware 2.0 is here!

Trin
08-03-2005, 12:02 PM
How do I know? I'm posting from my PSP with the new internet browser!

(I'll explain more in my next post)

Trin
08-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Sorry about the brevity of my last post, but the PSP keyboard function is like typing on a cell phone (ie. cumbersome).

Anyway, I wanted to let everyone with a PSP know that Firmware update 2.0 is out in Japan (and technically out in the US, though it won't be officially released by Sony until August 12th.)

I won't post any links to the update, only because I'd rather wait until Sony puts up an official link. There have been reports of totally ruined PSPs from the update, so I wanted to be safe. :)

I took the plunge, of course, so let me bring a little illumination to the update:

- The biggest addition to the Firmware is the Internet Browser. As I said before, the keyboard uses the PSP keyboard interface (which clumps multiple letters on a single button). It can seem cumbersome, but you get used to it quickly, and it's not nearly as bothersome as a cell phone keyboard. Text is easy to read, images have amazing clarity, and most sites load fairly quickly and coherently. The only problem I've found is that it doesn't support Java or Flash (so no dice chatting on FlashChat with your PSP). It DOES support javascript, on the other hand.

Page navigation works by jumping to links on the page using the d pad. I'm sure you can scroll down pages traditionally as well, though I was only on briefly to post the last post. :)

The browser uses a WiFi connection, so as long as you're close to a public hotspot, or a wireless router, you'll automatically be able to log onto any website.

- New AAC and WAVE support. Along with MP3 support, the PSP can now play AAC and WAVE files from the memory stick. Hooray for that. :)

- New 4x3 feature in Video. All video files (including UMD Video) can now switch between 16:9 and 4:3. This means that downloaded tv shows are now now longer stretched across the PSP's wide screen. :D

- Wallpaper. Now people can finally set a picture on a Memory Stick Duo to the wallpaper of the browser. Before, if you did set the picture to wallpaper, it would only stay until you start up a game or access any other option (not a very good wallpaper if you ask me. :P) Unfortunately, no randomizer function was added.

There are a host of little tweaks added in 2.0, but I just wanted to highlight the big changes that people will notice once 2.0 is installed. Feel free to post in this thread with questions about 2.0, and I'll try to answer to the best of my ability and knowledge. :)

ToshiMaru
08-03-2005, 01:34 PM
awww man...i still need to get my PSP. will the new models contain the update?

Trin
08-03-2005, 11:04 PM
Post August 12th built PSPs should have it, but if they don't, the download is free.

You'll be able to tell if they don't have the update if the Network/Internet browser icon is not in the dashboard interface (a globe icon next to the game icon).

ShininShado
08-05-2005, 09:14 AM
That looks really cool... ummm outside of the part where the update might ruin your PSP.

ToshiMaru
07-15-2007, 05:51 AM
mauhahaha! after 4 years of waiting i now have my own psp! im posting from my psp! its tiring but awesome!

selmo
07-15-2007, 09:54 AM
im posting from my computer...its tiring but only cause im hungover...but its simple and large and pure unnecisarily nerdy powa

ToshiMaru
07-15-2007, 03:51 PM
back on my pc, the psp is nice. the browser makes everything look like a mini-me version. hehehe, but darnit! the new psp is going to be release only 2 months away.... that pisses me off......