Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

Eyes Out Entertainment Forums (http://www.eoeforums.com/index.php)
-   Tatsumaki (http://www.eoeforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Castle Seiges? (http://www.eoeforums.com/showthread.php?t=4217)

Gheari 12-15-2007 06:36 AM

Castle Seiges?

If you didn't get it from the title I want to know how castle sieges work.

In feudal Japan castle sieges were more about attrition than combat, unless the defending side received reinforcements. Now I'm really wondering about how it will work when it's possible to get word out even when it's not possible to physically get word out in the game.

Kurisu 12-15-2007 11:44 AM

Re: Castle Seiges?

Interesting question... I think the best solution would be a timer for some hours... But... Hm.

Well... I'm now just writing what came to my mind.
You have to keep some percent of your population alive or you'll lose a city. The population can starve, be poisoned and manipulated. And the defenders have to stay as long as the population is decimated. Now we have to find out how much food you can store and how much the population will need. Defending a castle shouldn't be easy but taking one shouldn't be easy either. This is something hard to balance... I'd say it should be easier to defend, otherwise building castles was senseless.

Gheari 12-16-2007 03:47 PM

Defending a castle SHOULD be easier, unless you run out of supplies. Or of course there is the possibility that you could enclose fields and ponds within your walls, keep pigs and cattle in the keep and chabo in the yard.

Joeru 12-17-2007 12:54 AM

Indeed. Defending a castle should be easier, but it should still be hard.

And yeah I think a timer would be a solution to getting the word out. It's how we do it in KnightOnline.

Kenshin 02-28-2008 04:59 PM

well im no historian but what kinda siege weapons did they have in this time period in japan? i mean from what i know of siege yeah its easier to defend a castle but when the attackers have trebushays(big catapults of doom sorry for sp) ... it can get nasty especially when dead bodies are ammo 0.0. but i think that siege should definitely have some thought put into it since it will be a major decision point for a lot of battles how long the defenders can keep out the attackers. as for communication what could be done is people inside castle walls cant talk to people out side of the walls. now i know this would only be in game so of course phone calls ims and emails would be shot of to notify but it still wouldnt be instantaneous.

Ebisu 03-22-2008 08:11 PM

I agree with Kenshin. Lets assume they will honor the most realistic course. In that case, the defenders might try to take advantage of a gap in the offensive to send messengers to any nearby allies. It wouldn't be easy, and the messenger, assuming he/she is a player, would seriously be risking their life (on a perma-death server). As far as out of game communications, it's a shameful, honorless fact we'd have to compensate for when developing the siege strategy. It could, however, be covered.

Before putting a major fort to siege you'd simply have to cripple their aid. Putting fire to outside stores of food and weapon/armor stock, cornering and killing or crippling the more isolated pockets of reinforcments they would have expected to come when they put the word out. All this would have to be done swiftly, preferably in the night, so that by dawn the siege is begun and they have little hope of outside help. Additionally, I would send spies into the fort the day before to poison the water supply and ruin the food stocks. It sucks to have to get around out-of-game communications, but doing so would illustrate some truly beautiful strategem.

Kenshin 03-26-2008 08:35 AM

there could be some ways to comunicate in game though i dont know how feasibul the first will be. fire signals. i am not sure where abouts they where used but the lighting or lack of lighting a large flame sending up smoke could inform the allies of the fort. a nother idea i have thought of was pigions or the japanise equivalent. putting messages on the foot and having it fly home to cary a message to inform others. this could for the enamies maby be shot down but that would probly be very hard. plus coding again would proably be a pain. i think ebisu has got it with the fact for any attackers to win they prety much have to have some one on the inside unless at night they can break the main gait, get in some other way, or just stick it out till they starve.

Ebisu 03-27-2008 05:03 AM

That is sharp thinking Kenshin. Fire and smoke signals are a very real possibility, considering the era, and the fact that the player population will soon have fireworks at their disposal. Trained carrier pigeons would be an excellent addition to the game for those players who wish to be animal tamers/trainers, and would make those skills that much more valuable. Then the attackers would have to poison the pigeons too, hahaha.

Joushio 04-30-2008 04:51 PM

What if the defending castle can call for AID,IE Supplies.When this happens an event is triggered which spawns a few carts of food etc,Along with a few guards.Now the besieging army has to stop the carts from making it to the castle,If they do then the castle well,Doesent get food and if they dont then the castle gets a + to their food reserves and are able to last longer.

Zomg Dylan 04-30-2008 05:04 PM

defending should defiantly be easier. there should be a wide array of fortifying weapons and traps (different types of locks, ambush spots, pudgy(?) pits, and what not). but i would like to stay away from cliches like rolling boulders and catapults.