Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

Eyes Out Entertainment Forums (http://www.eoeforums.com/index.php)
-   Archived: Tatsumaki (http://www.eoeforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   [Idea] Inner ki and combat (http://www.eoeforums.com/showthread.php?t=510)

ShininShado 06-08-2005 08:17 PM

[Idea] Inner ki and combat

Since combat will be such a major part of TLAW, and such a major part of Japanese martial arts is inner ki/qi/chi, I think it would be good to have this upon character creation. Ki is in essence energy of living things. Harnessing ki is essential for effective martial arts training and Zen Buddhism <which was a vital part of Feudal Japan and the Samurai's life> helps to cultivate and become aware of this energy.

To relate this to TLAW and character creation, my idea is to have two different parts of the character. To have the physical elements: Height, hair length, gender, facial features, physique, etc. The second part would be to create the ki of the character. Instead of just having the physical character creation, you could in essence create your character's spirit too.

Most games, you create the physical side of the character, and then just fill in some stats. Having a ki facet to a character would give a somewhat realistic approach to the problem of adding stats and attributes to the game environment. Your ki could grow as you train, thereby making the character more potent in combat. Meditation could also be used to increase ki and focus it on one objective . This could also lead the progression of new techniques of combat. Since ki can help in any aspect of life, it would help in crafting, farming, etc too.

xi ryu 06-08-2005 09:51 PM

Re: [Idea] Inner ki and combat

i like this idea a lot, however....

if i understand what your saying about the ki growing as we train, than this would add a sort of grinding to the game, that is, you would have to train to develop the skills, which would make any one character weaker than another. i believe what their trying to get away from is the whole, you MUST visit a dojo and train in order to be effective in combat (basically you MUST get EXP to gain rank which would be belt colors) in TLAW they are trying to make it so it is YOUR REAL LIFE SKILLS (fast typing and remembering button combos) will make you a good fighter, some of us just ain't good fighters, some of us are.

(thats why i'm gonna be a wheat farmer and a blacksmith who makes very special, very good swords to a select group of people who deserve them)

in japan it is mainly referred to as ki, chi is chineese hence tai-chi being a chineese art

ShininShado 06-08-2005 10:14 PM

Ki would enhance and compliment combat, not dictate it. If a character choose to train or meditate <if implimented> they would have an edge, but it wouldn't be necessary. At least that is how I see it being used.

Lodeclaw 06-09-2005 01:30 AM

I agree that even though Tlaw is trying to steer clear of the grind, people should still becomes stronger by training or doing other activities. It would be unrealistic if your character did not gain in strength through training. Would you not be able to swing a blade faster, stronger, and more accurately by training with one in real life?

connick 06-09-2005 03:53 AM

??? Maybe it's the Bacardi talking, but I think this chi thing is a little off-base. Stamina maybe, but chi? As for the grind issue, players who play more will be better than those who play less. Call it grinding if you want. But I'm really not antsy to have this game be pseudo-communist with everyone being on a level playing field. People are going to play Tatsumaki all night and all day and they will be better than you so suck it up. Combine idealism and realism and you'll have a nice combo. Any game made up of ideals is destined to be a single-player game.

xi ryu 06-09-2005 09:36 AM

thats what i am saying, but i hope they dont take it too far like in StarWars galaxies, NOBODY could EVER kill a jedi, not even with a thousand other people.

obviously those who play a lot will be better, which is destind to happen, like they were saying, those who chop wood for a living will be able to chop wood better than you can. same goes with combat, those who practice will be better.

Galvorn 06-14-2005 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by connick
??? Maybe it's the Bacardi talking, but I think this chi thing is a little off-base. Stamina maybe, but chi? As for the grind issue, players who play more will be better than those who play less. Call it grinding if you want. But I'm really not antsy to have this game be pseudo-communist with everyone being on a level playing field. People are going to play Tatsumaki all night and all day and they will be better than you so suck it up. Combine idealism and realism and you'll have a nice combo. Any game made up of ideals is destined to be a single-player game.

Its the Bacardi.. :D I disagee that any game made up of ideals is destined to be a single player game. Like minded people will play like minded games. So why shouldn't they be able to play together?

As for the Ki aspect that ShininShado talked about, I don't think it goes along with the theme of the game. As others have said, I think the devs are trying to stay away from as many stats as possible. Though I'm not sure how they are going to pull that off. Ki does go along with the setting of the game, just not the vision of the game I think. Neat idea none the less.

ShininShado 06-15-2005 12:09 AM

Thanks Galvorn, I was talking with two different folks today, and they both sorta said the same thing: If I am continually playing with this character, I want to see improvements. IE: They'll get really bored really fast without any kind of improvements on their character, which I never thought of til then. Ki aspect to combat could counter that maybe. They also brought up the point that some sort of secondary feature or combat aspect would keep the folks without a lot of manual dexterity interested. What about 30 year old + folks without the speed of reflexes of younger players, having training or something simliar to ki would be a good alternative. You have the option to, but are not forced to like leveling.

Galvorn 06-15-2005 02:14 PM

I see what your saying about wanting some form of adavancement. Something that makes your character feel more expieranced. I think that should be reflected more in the social status or military aspects of the game. Gaining rank, followers, political power, money, or even fame. Soemthing besides a lvl I think is the general idea here. I'm thinking you have to break the traditional MMORPG thinking to get to that.

Quote:

What about 30 year old + folks without the speed of reflexes of younger players
HEY! :Eyecrazy: Whatya mean 30+ ! :D Yeah I kinda wonder about the twick affect, but then again we have yet to see combat so we are only speculating. Not to mention we dont know how much connection will play a role. Good points tho.

Sykoi 06-15-2005 10:57 PM

If I don't address the entire thread, tell me what I miss and I'll try my best...

The problem with inner ki - is that its just another name for a Level, and levels, in the end (Believe it or not), will ruin the game.
Eventually very few people will see the game as a place to have fun, but as a game where you have to become better than everyone else from hours upon hours of useless fighting.

Its how most games are in the end, and I don't want to see Tatsumaki end up like them.. (Developers constantly patching, releasing expansions to keep attention, adding more levels, etc.)

As for reflexes: Combat is one of the major things that we just have to test over and over again until everyone is happy with the outcome; granted, it will never be for everyone - in fact, that was the whole point of it (Since combat is in no way the point of Tatsumaki).