Eyes Out Entertainment Forums

Eyes Out Entertainment Forums (http://www.eoeforums.com/index.php)
-   D&D Forum Game (http://www.eoeforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   OOC for Selmo's DND (http://www.eoeforums.com/showthread.php?t=4754)

Ronin 12-18-2008 05:57 PM

OOC for Selmo's DND

Spoiler about OOC:
Yep, Half-Dragons are a +EL template, not to mention half-troll, and gnolls get a +LA as well. Not to mention the extra fiendish template (more +'s).

Gheari 12-18-2008 07:33 PM

Re: Act 1- Selmo's DND

Spoiler:
I'm just assuming that if we mess up on a roll that Selmo will roll for us and edit our posts.

Svage 12-18-2008 08:00 PM

Spoiler:
ooc: damn, well, at least the character will take a long time to gain a level. at least an EL 5, so that means everyone else will hit L6 by the time you get to Level 2. even with major RP bonuses (if selmo gives those) we will all be at least L4 before you get a level.
I was aiming for a el+1, but didn't since selmo said no adjusted level characters.

moses 12-18-2008 08:07 PM

Spoiler:
ok selmo cant edit our rolls because the system doesnt allow edits on rolls. so really you cant mess up a roll cause its get all screwy. to roll it is like this (it has worked for me both times I did it) "[roll0]" with no quotes and with the +2 being whatever bonus you want

EDIT: son of b. its "[roll]" 1d20+2 "[/roll]"

Svage 12-18-2008 08:21 PM

Spoiler:
yeah, still not working. [roll0]
another try.

Gheari 12-18-2008 08:25 PM

Spoiler:
I always wanted to play as a Planetouched. And I would have if I'd known he would have let us... Spoiled Ronin:silly:. Also, the game seemed to be going really fast until I joined. Selmo must be asleep or at work or something.

Ronin 12-18-2008 08:40 PM

Spoiler about OOC:
I chuckle a little bit every time I read this OOC, and how long do you think it'll take you to get to level 2? It's a PbP, plan for the short term. Oh well, as for the dice roller its simple, you are just messing up the rolls with spaces or edits. To use the roller, you have to type in what moses did with no quotes or spaces like so [roll0]. Course you can't see the insides of that roll, but I'm just showing that it does work

Tomoshibi 12-18-2008 11:49 PM

Spoiler:
I understand your concern Svage, though I must disagree. Admittedly, my character can get out of most conflicts with sociable beings, but that's his personality. He's got an amazing personal charisma, further augmented by his natural arcane forces.

I don't just roll my skill checks, I actively roleplay them through conversation and description. Is his ability to bend other humanoids to his will a little strong? Yes. But that only helps in a narrow area of situations. With the amount of thought I put into each post, it pains me to think you believe I'm showboating or powergaming.

As an actual combatant, he deals 1d6 damage a turn. No modifiers. His skills in non-charismatic skills are nothing to write home about either. I play him as a man who prefers to solve his conflicts nonviolently, if possible. I guess I do find it a tad offensive to accuse me of "defeating the purpose of roleplaying". Sorry. I forgive you for the accusation though. I am simply taking the roll of a man who is in the process of perfecting the art of communications.

Some people might feel an orcish barbarian, what with a good +8 strength higher than your average character might be powergaming. That's easily enough to pop most skulls at level one, and some people could find that equally outrageous. I do not. I see you roleplaying a mercenary orc with a seemingly limited vocabulary in common, and doing it well. I only ask that you understand my character and give me the same courtesy.

Svage 12-19-2008 12:22 AM

Spoiler:
sorry if I offended, but my characters stats are easily obtainable by a half orc, I merely chose the full orc for the roleplay aspect. it is just my opinion that any level 1 character should get no bonus above a +7, that being a 20 in the related stat and the feat of skill focus (giving an aditional +2). having a +14, you could talk hostile intelligent creatures to at least neutral with a 15 in your roll giving you a 29 total. about all you can't talk down is a creature with an effective intelligence of 6 or less, or something not in its own controll if it is smarter. If your bonus was in one or the other, I could understand, basically you focus on diplomatic solutions or intimidation, but both basically means you have the ability to out talk a 5th level diplomat at first level on any situation. It is just my opinion that an ability that gives such a bonus should be limited to one skill, not both sides of a skill, like a cleric is suppoed to be able to substitute cast heal or harm, depending on his alignment, but not both. same general concept. I hope you understand what I am saying, I am not trying to take away from your good roleplaying, but it is the general concept of the thing that bothers me. you are not showwboating, but most players I have lyaed with that find an ability like that that makes them eclipes everyone else in that field, even specialized characters that merely don't have that specific ability but are supposed to be the same kind of character, they flaunt it. it just bugs me. nothing personal against you. you play the caracter well, it is just the concept of any ability so overshadowing everything else.

Tomoshibi 12-19-2008 12:47 AM

Spoiler:
You don't have to worry about me making hostile creatures neutral. 3.5 basically prevents the use of diplomacy in battle (aka hostile creatures) by making it take 10 rounds of full actions, or a rushed attempt with a -10 penalty. Intimidation in battle is a good way to waste a full action to make a single enemy "shaken". You won't have to worry about me using such things in actual battle, it's almost pointless.

I don't quite understand what's bad about having two or three good skills, especially in a game that stresses problem solving through brute force. A person that attempts to solve problems through uses of charisma will soon be overshadowed by the more martial classes, I assure you. My charismatic abilities are no greater than a sorcerer, with the exception that I can use them more often. In return, I have a single action in battle that's barely noticeable and no versatility unlike most arcane classes.

Felt the comparison to the cleric was a little funky too. Though they can only substitute their spells for healing or harming, they're still capable of employing both, and being adept at both. Two sides of the same coin, and all that.

Gheari 12-19-2008 01:51 PM

Spoiler:
Am I in this scene or am I still back with Crudak?

Ronin 12-19-2008 01:59 PM

Spoiler:
You are still off with Crudak unfortunately

moses 12-19-2008 02:09 PM

Spoiler:
Actually, he and Syn could be arriving just about now if he followed Syn who followed me into the bar. Also how do you know they all went hostile without a post from selmo? Because apparently my action didn't happen or people assumed that the people wouldn't leave without a post from selmo? For all we know they could have ran off scared or their leader could be unconscious and unable to be grabbed by you svage? I'm just curious how we got this far without a post from selmo.

Svage 12-19-2008 02:17 PM

Spoiler:
OOC: I just followed through with the action I readied for hostile action. they put their hands on their weapons, that was all i was looking for. I'm not trying to start a fight, but my character won't back down from one either, He is trying to make the human think about his own mortality. Plus I only took the one action, not posting anything other than OOC chat untill selmo says what happens. Also, figure each round of actions can encompas as few as 6 second, all this is probably going on simultaniously. Depending on his thow, I could be the one hit with the flask, or I pulled the guy forward just in time to be missed by the flask. And at the same time, you are acting like a guard yelling for people to stand down. Just like the general chaos of a real bar room situation.

Tomoshibi 12-19-2008 10:54 PM

Spoiler:
We really need to clean up all these spoilers that are littering the pages. Half of our posts seem to consist of them. :rolleyes:

Just want to add a few things before this is hopefully wiped.

Standing is a move action, but using full defense is actually a full action. If we were in actual combat, I wouldn't be able to perform both (I'm pretty certain we're pre-surprise round though, so we're good).

Also Ronin, you're not allowed to use social checks on other players (bluff/diplomacy/intimidate/sense motive), so attempting to intimidate Svage wouldn't work. If that's who you're trying to intimidate anyway. I could have misread your post.

Everything else seems in order. I could understand why the orc would unleash his grapple regardless of whether or not the bottle strikes - he doesn't even seem aware of the bottle in his post, he's just reacting to the actions of the npcs (hands over weapons). I could also see how the others have arrived at the bar just in time. Selmo mentioned the arrival of 4 other people, not including myself and Svage. I think we're good there.

Svage 12-20-2008 01:22 AM

Re: OOC for Selmo's DND

now we don't need the spoilers. Good, I was miss spelling spoiler every other try, and it was getting annoying. lol.
Yeah, Baraq is not trying to start a fight, and will settle down as soon as teh agression is gone, but he won't back down, and is in pretty good controll of himself untill he rages, then it is no holds bared. He was grabing the guy to make his point, that he could probably rip the mans face off with no effort, and that the man should back down.

Ronin 12-20-2008 09:05 AM

Spoiler:
But I came in with Alun, and responded in the same amount of time, with a full round action. (standard for the disguise and move for the skill use) So wouldn't they have heard all that during the surprise round (Before butchering the orc as it appears to have happened? XD)

((The following is assuming they struck at the party despite my above warning))

Grant shouts

[color="Cyan"]"I TOLD YOU TO STAND DOWN, YOU FOOLS! You just attacked two unarmed men with lethal force in public! Now you are going to get it! GUARDS!!!"[/color="Cyan]

Grant then walks outside and guides the first few guards inside as they come, telling them as they come in "Those ruffians have just attempted to kill three innocent people! Get in there and subdue them while I go get the third victim, he ran away you see"

As soon as the first guard to arrive had heard the instructions of their fellow guard, Grant is going to run around the back of the tavern and then come walking back as a 5'4" human, rearanging his armor and weapons, obviously scared and with even a tear having run down his face

Note:If possible, I want to take ten on this, if not because of the combat, then use the below roll
[roll="Disguise"]1d20+18[/roll]

EDIT: Strange.... Well i'll just post the roll in a second post then.

Gheari 12-20-2008 09:25 AM

I'm assuming that I'll be coming in just after Syn, but right before the guards.

Ronin 12-20-2008 09:37 AM

Uh... why was my entire post moved here? XD I'll just quote fix that real quick

EDIT: Oh, and that intimidate check wa smeant for the ruffians not the Baraq

selmo 12-20-2008 10:09 AM

gheari and fluffy are free to post whenver they please. And Ronin, your going to need a bluff roll if your going to attempt to fool the guards. Edit, also ronin all you would be able to do in a single round is bluff the guards and run to the back of the tavern.

Ronin 12-20-2008 10:48 AM

That is fine with me

Tomoshibi 12-20-2008 11:01 AM

Alright guys. Battle got a tad convoluted in the main thread, so I'm going to clarify things here for everyone. For the sake of simplicity, I'll be using forum names instead of the roleplaying names.

Surprise Round:
Moses - Initiated surprise round with the toss of a bottle.
Svage - When the guards moved their hands to their swords, Svage's readied action was triggered and he grappled the ruffian leader by the throat, the force leaving the ruffian unconscious. Dropped ruffian in disgust after the fainting.
Tomoshibi - Stood up and took the full defensive stance.
NPCs - Seeing their leader attacked, their readied actions are triggered and they strike Svage.
Ronin - Ducked behind tavern door to disguise self, then bluffed the guards.
Fluffy - Attempted to convince everyone to stop fighting, failed.
Gheari - No action taken yet.

After this, first round started and initiative was rolled. Turn order looks like this:
Fluffy
Svage
Tomoshibi/NPCs (we need to roll again to see who goes first out of these two)
Gheari
Ronin
Moses

No one has taken their actions for the first round yet. As some of you familiar with 3.5 might have noticed, quite a few people took more actions in the surprise round than is normally possible. With the confusion and such going on, and this being the first battle for a few players, our DM has graciously bent the rules a tad in our favor. Gheari may still take an action for surprise round if he wishes. Fluffy may begin his actions for the first round. If he takes too long, Svage can do his actions, as Selmo specified in his last post.

Svage 12-21-2008 01:57 AM

question? how long is too long to wait? say It is fluffy's turn, can I wait say 12 hours from the last post, or is it 24 hours? Just wanting to clarify, cause different times are too long for different people.

selmo 12-21-2008 02:44 AM

i think it will be at my discretion, ill pm or post it here if its been 'too long' if a bunch of peopel are waiting on one person to post

Ronin 12-21-2008 10:42 AM

Tomo, you can't edit a roll to work, they only work on the first post. Try posting a new one with the roll

Tomoshibi 12-21-2008 03:05 PM

I tried what Ronin suggested, but it didn't work. It did automerge, but it insisted on doing another 1d6+2 roll for some reason - flat out refused to do a 1d20-2 roll. Tried twice, thinking I screwed up the first time.

moses 12-21-2008 04:13 PM

[roll0]

works fine for me

1d20-2 inside "[roll]" and "[/roll]"

selmo 12-21-2008 09:00 PM

its fine tomo ill fix the roll for you, i was waiting for gheari to post but i suppose the NPCs will spring into action!

Tomoshibi 12-21-2008 09:04 PM

I have a feeling I can do it here or almost anywhere else, it just won't let me do it there. I suspect however it is programmed in, be it on purpose or by mistake, it automatically forces my roll for a post right after my own post to be the most recent roll I already did. Honestly, that's the only reason I can think of it would automatically switch the 1d20-2 to a 1d6+2, which was the most recent roll command I made.

Trust me, I know how the roll command works. If it was as simple as you suggested, my post would already be properly edited from Ronin's pretty good advice.

Gheari 12-21-2008 10:50 PM

The combat is effectively over, isn't it? Thus allowing me to keep my place as quiet observer for now. Also, Baraq is a little OP for a level 1 character without an LE.

Svage 12-21-2008 11:39 PM

over powered? if the had hit me one more time I probably would have been out. even with rage going I was past half hp, and well within one good hit of going down. plus, after my rage, I get weaker (fatigued) for a while. -2 str and dex. as it stands, I could almost see him collapsing from the shock of 3 sword cuts at the same time, combined with the shock of commin gout of rage prematurely to stop myself form attacking the guards. Baraq may not like law and order, but he don't kill unless he has too.

Ok, so are we in perminant order for the rest of the adventure (or at least untill otherwise told) or was that initiative for the combat only? Just curious so I know if I can post or wait.

Tomoshibi 12-22-2008 12:33 AM

I'm pretty certain you can post. Battle is effectively over. I was tempted to post myself, but I'm having problems seeing how we can legally worm our way out of this situation.

I'm assuming we're going by normal D&D rules unless otherwise stated, but I'm guessing that initiative was for that battle only. Not that I can really speak for Glorious Dungeon Master Selmo.

As for overpowered, I think we should really stop bringing up that bullcrap as long as people are roleplaying. The third edition of D&D is pretty broken in the first place. If stuff seems overpowered right now, just wait until level 6 when wizards, clerics and druids go from so-so to insanely powered. The game was never designed with any sort of balance in mind. Bickering over characters that excel in one way or another should really be avoided. As long as no one is cheating or breaking any rules, we should just sit back and enjoy the game with our fellow forum members.

On another note, a barbarian should be able to take out a level 1 mook every round, or they're doing it wrong. By default, a barbarian has 12 hp at level 1. Taking 3 strikes is obviously pretty nasty, but if you do the math, it was 8 damage. If struck again, chances were he would be hit with another blow thanks to his AC penalty while raging, and have a 50-62% chance of being brought down to 0 hp. Luckily for him, the last ruffian was sensible to run off.

Gheari 12-22-2008 09:54 AM

We could always go back to 1.0... But anyways, I'm assuming that my character would be able to, within reason, tell that a character is dead by the amount of damage he has sustained without actually checking them. If Selmo wants though, I can edit my post.

moses 12-22-2008 01:36 PM

Gheari you may wanna edit your post from elf to monk cause Syn is a human monk. Im the elf warmage :D

Tomoshibi 12-22-2008 01:37 PM

I've never been a fan of original or basic, but I would LOVE to do some 2nd Ed AD&D. That stuff is crazy.

Back on track, you're probably right about the ruffian being dead. Selmo called him dead in his post, and the word of the DM beats all.

Fluffy 12-22-2008 01:46 PM

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, but I had meant to say that I would treat all those that I could. I was roll playing treating them all, but was waiting for selmo to be like, yeah he's dead.

Sorry I guess I just misunderstood the Grand DM Selmo when he posted. I'll leave it alone now though so people won't have to repost.

moses 12-22-2008 02:04 PM

thanks for covering for my poor diplomacy roll tomo. your +12 rocks my socks!

Tomoshibi 12-22-2008 03:11 PM

Sorry, I didn't want to show you up. I was originally planning on using aid another to boost your roll, but then I realized 16 would have failed as well. Heck, we still might fail.

Fluffy, you did the proper thing, it's cool. Your character is a caring individual, and wasn't ready to give up on the most-likely-dead fellow.

moses 12-22-2008 03:37 PM

no its all good. id rather you show me up lol. cause my guy is a bit cocky so it will add some fun little conflicts :D btw what class are you tomo?

Tomoshibi 12-22-2008 04:54 PM

Warlock. Pretty much, the only new respectable core class to come from the complete books. Essentially, it's what the sorcerer should have been in concept: an arcane class lacking the finesse, intelligence or even power of the wizard, but making up for it in infinite raw arcane energy.

Instead of actual spells, they gain one "invocation" every level. These either modify their one attack (ranged touch attack, ray, starts at 1d6 damage, increases every few levels) or mock a real arcane spell. The one I selected at first level functions like a lvl 1 enchanting spell, but works 24/7 rather than the normal duration. Thanks to that, my 18 charisma and max ranks or cross class ranks in the charismatic skills, my character is one heck of a talker.

I was forced to use a mug in the fight because using magic would have meant me getting stabbed to death by attacks of opportunity. Actually knocking a guy out was an amazing stroke of luck.

...I look forward to the amusing conflict. :D