Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Archives > Archived: General

Archived: General General discussions about Tatsumaki: Land at War go here.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:49 PM
2D

ninjaxmaster is on a distinguished road
Default [question/worry?] End Up Like Face of Mankind?

I'm getting kind of worried that Tatsumaki will be like a feudal Japan version of Face of Mankind, as both games appear to rely on RolePlay, PVP battle, and user driven economy. This doesn't exactly work well for FOM, though, if Tatsumaki is made in a similar fashion, but simplified, it could be a very enjoyable experience...

The main trouble I find with user-driven worlds, is that it becomes very (can't think of the word, had it a second ago...) ... scary(?) for new players, as most would be used to MMO's where the world is mostly run by NPC's, eg. NPC merchants, NPC town leaders, etc. etc., so many would not really know who to talk to/what to do.

Also worried about users forming militant groups, like FOM's FDC, LED, etc. which have a tendancy to take it upon themselves to rid the cities of clueless noobs.

Anyways, I'm basically just worried that Tatsumaki will end up being as confusing and difficult as FoM was. I tried to get into that game, but it was just too confusing and I'm a wuss who gives up easy... but, maybe if I'm in Tatsumaki from the start, and I'm at the same playing level as mostly everyone else (and eventually greater than most, as waves of noobies come, and the original members slowly diminish), it will be easier and more fun. Another thing that would make a big difference is the community, as I've spent a bit of time looking through the FOM Forums before, and basically all the high power guys just rip on the noobies, and they just seem like cruel people, where as basically everyone here is friendly and the only 'ripping on' that is done is in good humor.

ちぐるま とう :The Blood Wheel Clan Family!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2006, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Sykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [question/worry?] End Up Like Face of Mankind?

Don't worry, we won't end up like Face of Mankind
Tatsumaki doesn't rely on RolePlaying, or PVP - those are just two parts of it. The economy portion will be heavily regulated in a way that it will be completely open, but stable enough that a few people can't screw it up.

We're also making sure that most aspects of the open world has a possibility of being ran by NPCs created by players, which is the purpose of the 'create your own NPC' portion of the game. Rather then going the route of Everquest, and creating an area where players setup shop as themselves, there will be numerous NPCs dedicated to certain generic products, with an option of players creating their own actual shops in a way thats easy to use and navigate, rather then overwhelm.
There is also the possiblity that certain families (Hint hint) will setup similar NPCs that will purchase certain items such as wood, ore, etc. and either put them in the family 'bank' or resell them for a higher price.

We'll try to setup a punishment system that will prevent militant groups who senselessly kill in public places. I think a 'wanted system' would fix this pretty well, as in, if someone (NPC or PC) witnesses a murder, they will be able to report it - in which case, said murderer will become a wanted person.

Tatsumaki is not not not not not not not NOT a PVP game; PVP will be a part of it, yes, but I do not want it to be thought of as a pure PVP game... You will be able to kill whoever you want, whenever you want, yes - but there will be no encouragement to do so. (Outside of war between factions (Rare seneless killings), stealing cargo as it passes by, etc.)

I hope there will be little 'high power vs low power'ness in Tatsumaki, as there are numerous factors preventing it:
1) A 'wanted system', which will cause grievers to think before they kill
2) A possible karma system, which will further enforce needless killing (We'll try not to implement this, as it will limit the game and add an unrealistic feel to it as well)
3) No levels of any kind
4) You start out in your city's family (So 'big brother' can help you out)
5) You will be able to own land and such, so needless killing will be prevented in the sense that they will not have a reason to kill people with little reward
6) I dispise mindless PVP.

This is all not to say that I don't want PVP in Tatsumaki, on the contrary - I do... However, I don't want players who want to steer completely clear of it to lose any fun
Old 02-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Telly.D

Telsist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Telsist

Well, if it makes any difference, I've been an avid member of the Face of Mankind community for 12 months. True, FoM's a boring game; and I hope for more from Tatsumaki. My red light's not going off yet, though. Perhaps I'm gullable, but I believe Sykoi when he says this game won't turn into FoM.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:11 PM
Drunken Master

Xenetic is an unknown quantity at this point

I think a good tutorial would help all of that. I liked the MXO tutorial for when you made a new character, didnt take to long and it taught you alot of things. Runescape had a good starting tutorial, it teaches you everything and does a pretty good way of doing it. How exactly are you going to start of in Tatsumaki?

"When you act selfish like that, bad things are bound to happen you know?"
"Oh well, I'll have to deal with the bad things then."

Old 02-17-2006, 07:54 PM
ケーキはうそだ

Senshi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Senshi Send a message via MSN to Senshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykoi
You start out in your city's family
Wouldn't there be more than one family in a city? And everyone wouldn't start out in the most powerful family right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykoi
(So 'big brother' can help you out)
I'm the leader of the Kumamoto, so I wouldn't have a big bro. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenetic
Runescape had a good starting tutorial, it teaches you everything and does a pretty good way of doing it.
Runescape gets boring after a few days. And the graphics are horrible. (no textures, just solid colors)
But yeah the tutorial explained EVERYTHING. But they wouldn't let anyone skip it. And it was SO long. Do people actualy play RS now?

Kumamoto Leader \ Former Meitochi.com Owner
Forum Moderator \ Tatsumaki Anime Director

Go: Kumamoto Clan | Info & Joining Kumamoto
Old 02-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Bakemono

ToshiMaru has a spectacular aura aboutToshiMaru has a spectacular aura about

I believe that the tutorial should have the option to be skipped. im sure most people who hate going through a tutorial again and again would agree with me. As for FoM, i think it has a decent government system, but it seriously lacks a law system; which is why the LED isnt as effective as the other factions. I still occasionally pop up in FoM once and again because i like the political aspects of it. Yes, the majority of FoM's politicians are young spoiled brats, or people who obviously cant handle politics correctly. But, i like the way that it is an opened politic system, where players can created rules and things through agreements.

Now, the only hard thing is to get the rest of the population of FoM to follow the rules, as people tend to set themselves above the law, or think they're uber enough to take over the game world. I hope this same problem wont effect Tatsumaki.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:51 PM
The Smiling Spirit

Shinzui will become famous soon enoughShinzui will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Shinzui

I would love to see a corrupt politic/lunatic trying to rule the world appear in T:LAW. It would make my job more interesting. ^_^

If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we would find in each person's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility. - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Old 02-18-2006, 12:44 AM
2D

ninjaxmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi
I'm the leader of the Kumamoto, so I wouldn't have a big bro. Right?
I think most of the 'founding players' of T:LAW will kind of be on their own at the beginning of the game, or will we all be somehow affiliated with a NPC based 'family'? Kind of like Factions in FOM, then you could have a 'sub-family'. So it could be like: Setsuki (character name) [Kumamoto (sub-family name)] Ikaga (main family/ ancestry). Or something?

ちぐるま とう :The Blood Wheel Clan Family!
Old 02-18-2006, 02:48 AM
Bakemono

ToshiMaru has a spectacular aura aboutToshiMaru has a spectacular aura about

nah, i believe that every player should start on their own. and then, maybe later, players can be invited or accepted into npc-ish clans or factions(like the ones in FoM). it would also serve useful if you dont feel like creating or joining a player ran family yet.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Drunken Master

Xenetic is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinzui
I would love to see a corrupt politic/lunatic trying to rule the world appear in T:LAW. It would make my job more interesting. ^_^
yea! just think of all of the events that you would be able to make!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senshi
Runescape gets boring after a few days. And the graphics are horrible. (no textures, just solid colors)
But yeah the tutorial explained EVERYTHING. But they wouldn't let anyone skip it. And it was SO long. Do people actualy play RS now?
Runescape does suck but the tutorial is good. If they added a option to skip it, it would be alot better =P. alot of people still do play this though, a couple of my friends at school play this. one of them has a lvl 92 guy and is a rich bastard!

"When you act selfish like that, bad things are bound to happen you know?"
"Oh well, I'll have to deal with the bad things then."