Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Archives > Archived: General

Archived: General General discussions about Tatsumaki: Land at War go here.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Tatsumaki Video Producer

Masamune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Masamune Send a message via MSN to Masamune
Default Developers: Big vs. Small

I found this discussion here: Developers: Big vs. Small to be quite insightful, especially as it applies to EOE, Tatsumaki, and what the future holds.

What are your thoughts about big studios and small studios?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2006, 10:56 AM
Ronin

Bengrizzly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Developers: Big vs. Small

That was a good discussion. I'm all for this smaller company and sure with the release of this game it will start to become a bigger one. I think we all do Expect a lot from this game. I'm sure the bosses will deliver. Also like they said. Soon as I see more I'll invest more
Old 06-26-2006, 12:59 AM
The one man Gods fear.

Raku is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Mann
To fully gain the trust of your customers you need to ’under promise, over deliver’, but it seems some small companies have got in backwards in vain attempt to get noticed. In the end it backfires as you spread yourself to thin, instead of just getting the basics of a fun game right. If you are straight up with your customers they will be much more willing to help you grow your project into something great.
I really agree with that quote and believe that it relates to Tatsumaki, and thats why i think EoE have a great, humble community.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Tatsumaki Video Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Mann
The flaw in that logic is that they chose to make an MMO and knew going in what the financial responsibility was from the get-go. No one put a gun to their head and said “Make a great MMO on a shoestring budget. Or else” right? They could have done what Mythic did and get their feet wet with basic multi-player games (Magestorm, ID4 online) and gain some reputation, skill and money before throwing all your eggs in one basket with a MMO of epic proportions.
This concerns me though. I know with EOE it really shouldn't be a big problem, but it is still a problem.

I agree with Dan that it is probably best to get your feet wet with basic kinds of games, figure out what you're doing and how to create a strong game, then start creating an MMO. Because lets face it... the market for MMOs is growing rapidly, but most of the games have fallen way short of anything but "ok" gameplay. If most large studios can't deliver, why should smaller ones?

But, I think most people are leaning towards smaller, independent companies. On MMORPG.com, Warhammer Online was highly anticipated (last time I had checked the anticipation rating was up to 7.6). However, now that Mythic has been bought by EA, many people are skeptical, despite the dev saying that EA is just backing the project with their money and not taking control of the actual development. The rating has now dropped back down to 7.2 and is currently dropping, which means it must be a large portion of the gaming community who were anticipating the game are a bit dismayed.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:03 AM
The Savage Wolf

Svage is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Svage Send a message via Yahoo to Svage

I am leery of big name developers anymore because of the fact that so many great Ideas were under developed in the name of going with what sells. City of heroes and Matrix online were prime examples. The Skill systems in MXO were awesome, the graphics were average, but it was just a basic grindage game. too many factions, too little involvement in the actual storyline. At least SWG gave you a good excuse for your actions not affecting the storylines, you were one of billions in a universe just trying to survive. MXO basically said you were "super human" in what you could do, but there were so many likeyou it was too commonplace.
City of Heroes was better on the customization side, and allowed you to be a bit different than everyone else, but the game was basically a grind fest as well. At least they left more options open when they put out City of Villains, but I haven't tried that one yet so I don't know if they actually improved the game. Basically this game would have been just fine if they had made it a Marvel or DC universe spinoff and did a more DIablo-esque style of game.

-Warning-
I am out of prozac and patience, and I have a .357

(translated to fit in with T:LAW)
Be wary, I am lacking both in mood and patience, and my blade is both fast and sharp.

(edited to fit for Yama)
Your getting on my nerves, leave before I injure your inner child with my fist.

Short stories by ME
Old 06-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Tatsumaki Video Producer

Well, City of Heroes/Villains has come along and I do enjoy that game to a certain extent, but it is still a grind and is sometimes hard to even just solo your way. So you end up relying on other people far too often... so much for those superpowers when you can't solo three gang members, huh?

SWG is probably the biggest controversy over big game developers though. I'm sure most of you know, so I wont go into detail about it.

Though, you still can't help but wonder if all the smaller companies will deliver either. It comes down to money and organization. Bigger companies have the money, but far too many people to be organized, whereas smaller companies have very little money and resources, but are organized because they don't pay as many developers as they can afford.