Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Community Projects > Manga

Manga A Tatsumaki manga, created by Yagyu

Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM

SunWuKong has a spectacular aura aboutSunWuKong has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tatsumaki Mange

Nice work; Enticing.

(Bo Shuriken sounds like some character in a samurai western.)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2009, 04:26 PM

WhiteHawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunWuKong View Post
(Bo Shuriken sounds like some character in a samurai western.)
Then again even "Katana" isn't exactly an uncommon name for japanese inspired characters in western culture shows and comics. =P
Old 02-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Yagyu is on a distinguished road

lol bo shuriken is a type of shuriken. Its not a throwing star, it is more dart like, its iron or steel, and a ninja/shinobi would have them stashed in various placed in his clothing, he would pull them out and throw them with deadly accuracy.
I have finished the first page of the comic, ill be adding a new bio or two very soon and will be workin on the second page tonight or tomorow depends on what else i need to do, Once we have an inker or colorist, i shall go to kinkos or staples or office max and have them scanned (im doing then on professional comic boards so the pages are huge it gives me room for more detail. I wanna wait till i either have half the chapter or the whole thing is done to have them scanned onto a disk. anyway enjoy the current bios
Old 02-07-2009, 07:01 AM

WhiteHawk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagyu View Post
lol bo shuriken is a type of shuriken. Its not a throwing star, it is more dart like, its iron or steel, and a ninja/shinobi would have them stashed in various placed in his clothing, he would pull them out and throw them with deadly accuracy.
Yeah I knew that, that's why I compared it with a Katana, which is also a weapon.

Here's a picture of old Bo Shuriken. They look like pencils, but this one is a Shirai ryu traditional piece.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Tatsumaki Manga

OK last night i did page 2 of the comic itself. I did this quick little sketch just as a small concept for the shogun. I didnt spend more then a minute on it so its pretty simplistic but it served its purpose and i figure i will throw it on here so i can at least give you all another Bio.

Shogun Ashikaga yoahiaki

Hair: Short black
Face: Painted white with noble face paint markings
Teeth: Dyed Black
Style: Yoshioka Ryu (though he hates his instructor)
Weapon of Choice: His scheming political tongue.

BIO:

Growing up he was taught the Yoshioka Ryu by his fathers official sword instructor Yoshioka Kenpo. Kenpo was his fathers best friend and most trusted advisor. He was also a harsh and abusive teacher who Yoshiaki has come to hate and despise.

Yoshiaki has concocted a plan to not only remove Kenpo from his position but to also embaress and humiliate him and his entire family, as well as deposing his brother the current Shogun and taking the title of the Shogunate for himself.
The great Tournament of Kyoto.

While Yoshiaki appears to be a fat lazy noble aristocrat he is in reality a scheming brilliant snake. He is also very adept at the sword thanx to none other then Kenpo. Though Yoshiaki would never admit such and simply credit his own divine lineage as the source of his skill.

Yoshiaki is sure that not only will this tournament eliminate his hated sensei but that it will weaken his enemies as they will be required to either send their best swordsmen who will hopefully die in the tournament or will refuse and therefore give Yoshiaki an excuse to send his most fierce ally Nobunaga upon them.

Yoshiaki has carefully planned the next six months out very well and is sure that soon he will be able to make his title official and rule Japan without any further adversity.

His brother the current shogun Ashikaga Yoshiteru, he feels is not worthy of being the Shogun as Yoshiteru is a great swordsmen, he admires the Samurai ways too much and forgets his Noble heritage and thus Yoshiaki feels he cannot be trusted to rule japan. Yoshiaki schemes to destroy his brother and claim his birth right.

But what Yoshiaki does not realize is that his enemies also are clever schemers.

And that this great tournement may bring about his own death.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shogun.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	791.0 KB
ID:	826  

Last edited by Yagyu; 06-09-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:21 AM

Ok so i messed around a little with one of the concept sketches instead of working on page 3 tonight, i needed a break from penceling. So here is a painted version of Yoshioka Kenpo. I chose Kenpo cuz hes just so cool. So I would love it if we could get someone to do this kind of painting / photoshopping for the comic cuz it just looks so cool. I would do it myself for the whole comic but it just takes sooooo much time for me to do the concept the writing the pencils AND the coloring. I think Vahn will do the lettering / word balooning. So that will help alot.

This pic did not require any inking. It was all done with photoshop. I used the blurry brush tool turned the opacity down to about 18-35-55 depending on what areas of shade i modeled with. I started with a very light skin tone and used all very light colors to paint in. Painted over the pencil including the shading. I used a hard black at an opacity of 18 for the hair beard and shadows. Same with the shirt except i used a hard blue. for lighting i used pure white again opacity 18 and kept the lighting to the outlying edges first and pretty much erased the outline penciling to give it a more realistic feel. Then i reduced brush size and using the same pure white and 18 opacity whited some areas in the face and on the shirt. Then i used a hard black opacity 18 and shaded the areas that needed shading. Note that after each step i would check the finished look by turning the brightness and contrast to -26 +48. I would just check it not actually save the effect. If u save the effect it will kinda screw u up so u will have a massive hard time doing the rest of the detail until your finished. I shaded over everything that would be black like the eyebrows and the beard and hair.

Then i used the smudge tool and smudged the areas that looked spotty when i would check the end result with the brightness and contract trick i just mentioned. Finally after i maticulaosly (i know i cant spell hey its 3am lol) smudged and detailed, i finally turned the brightness and contrast up and down and fiddled with it till it looked as realistic as i wanted it. Then a sligth overall blur, then i had t retouch the eyes a little to bring back the whiteness on the pupils and finally i did a simple render-lighting effects-spotlight to fill the background.
Note that if you can do this and want to help wed apreciate it but it might be alittle trickier to blend this kind of painting with a background since you wont likely use the render spotlight for every frame. But it works for frames where we dont have a background or dont need to distinguish a background.

It would be so excellent if someone can learn this or who knows this can color the pages like this for us. Wed except anything that looks good but if we could get someone to give it this style that would make this book seriosuly rock. So if u wanna help and dont know how just try the directions i gave above, practice it a few times u most likely wont get it perfect on the first or even second try so just download any of the pics we have posted and give it a try

Ok so Without further interuption i give you

Yoshioka Kenpo

In the flesh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kenpo2 copy.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	827  
Old 02-09-2009, 02:16 AM
Sculpted from Awesomeness

Vahn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Vahn Send a message via MSN to Vahn

I had a little bit of free time and decided to try my hand at a little inking.

I used a combination of Inkscape and GIMP 2.0. The end results are decent, I suppose. It does take me a little longer than I'd like though.

Anyway, here is Ueda and Kenpo, inked Vahn-style. Munisai was inked (in far less time, and far greater quality, I might add) by my buddy Neo. She is awesome at everything, ever.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ueda.png
Views:	293
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	829   Click image for larger version

Name:	KenpoInk.png
Views:	314
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	830   Click image for larger version

Name:	neo_Munisai_Concept.png
Views:	275
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	831  

Last edited by Vahn; 02-09-2009 at 03:44 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:24 AM
Ninja XL

NinjaKerocker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NinjaKerocker Send a message via Skype™ to NinjaKerocker

great work both, really nice, cant wait to see the first installment, i bet once that is out you'll see fans pining for more! #

on the inking front, nice work vahn, and that friend of your neo, she's something, that work is awsome.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:26 AM
Ninja XL

Send a message via MSN to NinjaKerocker Send a message via Skype™ to NinjaKerocker

well i have an idea, most of the web comics, they release a strip every 2-3 days, like 3-4 panels every 3 days should be fine i guess, this should give everyone room to work freely.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Ninja XL

well if that's the case then i vote for option A: a page a week as you finish them.