Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Archives > Archived: Tatsumaki

Archived: Tatsumaki Discuss all things related to Tatsumaki: Land at War, here.

Old 08-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Bullet Proof Monk

ShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond repute
Default [Idea] Meditation and your character.

This thread is just to discuss the realistic aspect of meditation, and how it could effect your character. Seeing how Zen Buddhism is so centered around meditation and that was such a big part of Feudal Japan, I think it'd be good to have in game personally. The benefits of doing this might be small, but having it in game would be big.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:29 PM
LanceArmstrong of Riddles

moses is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to moses Send a message via MSN to moses Send a message via Yahoo to moses
Default Re: [Idea] Meditation and your character.

well, for real rpers it would be something to do. i love the aspect of meditating and maybe it increases your abilities some. Because when you have a clear mind you do seem to be more focused.
m0s3s:no this is #tatsumaki!
m0s3s:if only i could kick
m0s3s:then i could copy z
m0s3s:phail

Old 08-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Blind Artist Ukyo

shad0wrunn3r is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to shad0wrunn3r

I think meditation would probably have to be done in "quiet" places such as a shrine or wilderness (waterfalls, mountain tops, etc.) And afer meditiating you have an option of applying it as a temporary buff to somthing. Mabey even when near death one could meditate and attempt to spiritualy mend his wounds so that he is able to live long enought to get medical attention. Ex. Helping blod clot or slow effects of poisions etc. Perhaps better meditation (meditating fequently) could put you closer to your center spiritualy and could lead to a more potent effect. ex. Completely null a posion etc. Meditation isn't manditory but being at one with yourself would has its benefits.

While meditating you would see a black screen (eyes closed) then as you continue to meditate objects and things begin to start forming in sort of blueish haze, until you see the world like you would with your eyes open but in a blueish glow type of vision(representing every objects spirit). It all forms as you listen and imagine whats going on while your eyes are closed. Possibly even filter out somethings when you concentrate on a single object/person/sound.

Shininshado and I had a conversation on flashchat on how this could be implemented in-game. A simple yet challenging "balancing of a bar". It could have a few color coded zones on it indicating how well you are meditating.

[ Break [ Bad [ Ok [ Good[[ Focused ]]Good] Ok ] Bad ] Break ]
[_________________________[[[]]]_______________________]

Break - Your meditation ends, your not focusing / became to difficult.
Bad - Your techniqe is lacking/ becoming difficult and your meditation will soon break.
Ok - Your doing well/ losing concentration, but can do better, focus more.
Good - Your concentration is great but slightly lacking.
Focused - You are at one with yourself and the world.

The effectiveness of you meditation can be "graded" by how well you balance the bar, and how long you balanced it. Ex. Bad = no points / Ok= 1 / Good =2 /focused =3. THis could be done in intervals of 5sec. Every 5sec it checks to see how well you are doing and takes note(numerical score).Now over a course of time the numbers would accumilate, that the final number would be how well the meditation session went.

Ex. After meditating for a minute (12 intervals), the meditation score could range from 1-36. 1 being the lowest possible due to staying in (bad) area and barely in the (ok), and 36 being the perfect score. Now dependent on the number is how the benefit of meditation is applied. One way of calculating would be, Levels ranging from minimal 1 to signifigant 10.

Score of:
1-3 = Benefit of 1
4-5 = Benefit of 2
6-9 = Benefit of 3
10-13 = Benefit of 4
14-17 = Benefit of 5
18-21 = Benefit of 6
22-25 = Benefit of 7
24-29 = Benefit of 8
30-33 = Benefit of 9
34-36 = Benefit of 10
ex. In a minute you scored 24 points. So you get a benefit rating of 8

Or you can forget intervals and just grade the length of time spent in an area on the bar.
ex. (Focused 21% / Good 65% / Ok 13% / Bad 1%)
The area spent most in is your grade, and have a modifier number set for each zone. Then Get the amount of time meditated x the muliplier for the zone = (the variable)
Focused = 10 - Good = 6 - Ok = 3
Time x Grade = Final Grade
Good meditaion for one minute would be as follows
60 x 6 = 360

After meditation you would get to chose to apply your spiritual training to somthing such as attributes, or a physical illness/condition (posioned/bleeding) or something modular in the game.

But the longer you balance the bar the harder it becomes, so that getting a "good score" does not come without challenge. It would take alot of skill for long periods of time and the ones that master the meditaion technique can become quite powerful though their spiritual energy/focus.

Some examples using the above mentioned variables.

"You find a peaceful area to meditate after meditation your reaction/quickess is enhanced by "X" for "Y" amount of time."

Using Intervals
X = Benefit Rating ( 8 )
Time spent meditating = a(time) x b(a multiplier) = Y
60 x 15 = 900(or 15 mins)
So ( stat ) is enhanced by 8 for 15 minutes for scoring a 24 in a minute.

Using Percentage
X = Final Grade divided by 60 - rounded down
360 / 60 = 6 --- X=6
Y = Grade x 3
6 x 3 = 18 --- Y = 18
So ( stat ) is enhanced by 6 for 18 minutes for a good meditation

Only one stat could be moddified at a time, say you increase (stat), you would not be able to *stack* the buff, or meditate to increase another (stat). It would simply overwrite the previous meditation.

Remember they are just an idea of what it could be like.

"You just finished a greusome battle, and barely surived. You know what you will die soon from the numerous cuts and deep wounds you have suffered. So you lay down your weapon and sit back to meditate. After your meditation you have come to realize you have stopped bleeding from the major wounds, and you have enough strength left in you to reach the nearest herbalist for treatment."

Ok now relating the meditation to wounds.
Wound has a severety rating ex. minor cuts/scrape (light)- stronger cuts(moderate) - deep wound(severe) - Near loss of limb (deadly)
Ex. (Random person) is suffering from 2 severe and 3 moderate wounds and a few light cuts.

Using Intervals
Light 2 - Moderate 4 - Severe 6
Your meditation bonus x2 = points to stop bleeding
8 x 2 = 16
12 points to stop the 2 severe, leaving you with 4 to stop one moderate.

Using Percentage
Your Grade is eqivilant wounds
Ok meditation would stop bleeding from moderate wounds, or anything below moderate. Good meditation would stop bleeding from severe wounds, or stop anything below severe. Focused Meditation would stop bleeding a deadly wound, or anything below deadly.

These are just some ideas for a system, if stat modifiers are to great for a person than ya can always just add subtraction or division in the totaling for the number.

Do yuo fnid it intesertnig taht you cna udrertsnand tihs setnecne??

Last edited by shad0wrunn3r; 08-17-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Bullet Proof Monk

ShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond repute

Both of the situations you propose would not only fit into game, but would fit into a realistically rendered game. Also, since there won't be any "buffs" so to speak, this is a way for fighters to enhance their fighting abilities. Also, since my character will basically be non-violent, this type of thing will give the philosphers and monk-types something to practice besided martial arts. Since there won't be any actual cummlative skills, maybe by meditating you could change your focus or hone your focus more easily for a given task. There are endless possiblities here, and to my knowledge this hasn't been implimented in a game in this context.

Here are just a few websites about the subject, and since realism is main thing for Tatsumaki, this should surely be in game.

"...meditation exercises are actually forms of imagery and visualization that are extraordinarily useful in healing..." http://1stholistic.com/Meditation/ho...chological.htm

"Meditation brings the brainwave pattern into an alpha state, which is a level of consciousness that promotes the healing state." http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/meditation/benefits.asp

"Improvement in concentration - Many of the athletes and sports professionals regularly employ meditation methods. Studies have found a direct correlation between concentration exercises (meditation) and the performance level of sports professionals. Meditation strengthens the mind, it comes under control and is able to provide effective guidance to the physical body to effectively execute all its projects." http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/me...bjectives.html

"In fact such religions as Buddhism and Zen have a form of meditation at their core. Not only does it offer scientifically validated life-saving health benefits such as lowering blood pressure and chronic stress levels, meditation can also raise a person's IQ and creativity." http://www.finetuning.com/articles/5...editation.html

"It is the practice by which there is constant observation of the mind. It requires you to focus your mind at one point and stilling the mind in order to perceive the self. Through the practice of Meditation you will achieve a greater sense of purpose and strength of will." http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/meditation/home.asp

" Some of the Benefits you may obtain from the practice of meditation are:
Improved concentration; Developing an inner strength." http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/benefits.htm

"The side effects of developing a stable inner core include the capacity to transform weakness into strength, rigidity into flexibility, and ignorance into wisdom. " http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikhph...-benefits.html

In closing, since Zen Buddhism was such a big part of Feudal Japan, and since meditation is at the heart of Zen Buddhism, it only makes since it would be a part of Tatsumaki. The effects of meditation can be very subtle, but they should definetly be a part of the game.

Last edited by ShininShado; 08-17-2005 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Added background info.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:38 AM
ITS YELLOW TIME!

glowsticknation is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to glowsticknation Send a message via MSN to glowsticknation Send a message via Yahoo to glowsticknation

i gotta say, nicely done and i agree... i don't think i've seen a pitch so far that has this much thought and evidence to it...

on a personal note, i like the idea of meditation, not only as a means of clearing ones head before performing a task (i plan to meditate before creating any masterful weapon or armor), but it adds a huge RP element to the game... and rewarding this slightly will boost the RP present in the community and bring the game's realism to a whole new level
-Tako-samurai
Old 08-17-2005, 01:37 AM
Bullet Proof Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wrunn3r
Ex. After meditating for a minute (12 intervals), the meditation score could range from 1-36. 1 being the lowest possible due to staying in (bad) area and barely in the (ok), and 36 being the perfect score. Now dependent on the number is how the benefit of meditation is applied. One way of calculating would be, Levels ranging from minimal 1 to signifigant 10.

Score of:
1-3 = Benefit of 1
4-5 = Benefit of 2
6-9 = Benefit of 3
10-13 = Benefit of 4
14-17 = Benefit of 5
18-21 = Benefit of 6
22-25 = Benefit of 7
24-29 = Benefit of 8
30-33 = Benefit of 9
34-36 = Benefit of 10
ex. In a minute you scored 24 points. So you get a benefit rating of 8
This is really solid and well thought, as is your whole last post. I think having this option available to those who wish to do this is a great idea. Without "buffs" in game this would provide a realistic alternative. Meditating for 15 minutes might give your character more agility attribute or strength depending on the situation. As long as the benefit is realistic, and does not become a necessity to be competitive, I think there is no way it shouldn't be implimented. This opens up a whole new facet of gameplay in my opinion, and like glowstick said another level of realism. There are tons of possiblities here.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:19 AM
Daimyo

ODA-NOBUNAGA is on a distinguished road

awesome ideas Shad0wrunn3r, these would bring even more innovative and unique elements to the game, which is surely a good thing

小田

"Those who seek fear shall have it... in abundance."
Old 08-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Bakemono

ToshiMaru has a spectacular aura aboutToshiMaru has a spectacular aura about

to me, its just sleeping while not letting anyone know it.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:25 AM
Humble warrior

Leluu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Leluu

While meditating you have to close your eyes?
If it is implemented in the way it's proposed here what happens while you meditate?
My idea: While medidating you concentrate your senses and your mind only on yourself so fade out the normal view and concentrate the monitor/game overview only on your 3d-person, fade out the enviroment. For example you can only see your 3d-person and everything else is black. For graphic junkies make a glowing aura around the character while he is meditating.
So as long as you are meditating you are in real danger because anyone can sneak up to your character and kill him or steal from him.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:00 AM
Hand of God

Chronor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leluu
So as long as you are meditating you are in real danger because anyone can sneak up to your character and kill him or steal from him.
OOh evil are we! Well, I'm all for this idea. But as i understand, this would be a temporary buff and the cap on it stops after 15 conseccutive minutes of pure meditation. I hope this is correct because if not i can definately see this being abused in game. I personally will meditate/pray before a battle and ect. I'd just hate to see this obviously abused.