Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > General > The Katana > Serious Discussion

Serious Discussion Drivel getting you down? Want a place to discuss serious topics such as life and death? This is the place!

Old 04-19-2006, 12:55 PM

uzshka is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to uzshka
Default What is the best thing to invest money in, in the interest of the worlds wellbeing?

I think the Red Cross and all that is doing a great thing in helping the needy all around the world, but somehow i dont think its going to the best use.

This thread is to voice out your opinion regarding the use of charity funds.

My opinion is...
I think that all this charity money used to buy expensive medicine and the like should be used in improving the economy and infrastrucutre of third world countries. And organising the governments to work efficiently with minimum corruption, although i dont see how money could sort that out (maby we could bribe em, lol) Also, i has to be understood that as long as there will be a large amount of poor people there will be corruption. You all know the story of the corrupt policeman who has to feed his starving family. Education is also of course an important part of this, and its already happening well.

As i said the money given would be charity, not loans (not even soft loans) which they wont be able to pay themselves out of.

Although it may sound cruel i think the money should go into developing a self sustainable economy in third world countries.

Although... its easier said than done...
Old 04-19-2006, 01:24 PM

ojwk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the best thing to invest money in, in the interest of the worlds wellbeing?

The financial aid needs to be carfully watched and made sure it does not fall into the hands of corrupt politicians. A major aim as you say should be to make the country self sustainable. This is necessary as when the financial aid is used up, the country will be able to support itself. However this is a long term solution which will not fix short term problems.

My sig is best viewed using any other browser than IE
Old 04-19-2006, 01:49 PM

Default Re: What is the best thing to invest money in, in the interest of the worlds wellbeing?

then again, short term solutions solve only short term problems
Old 04-19-2006, 02:17 PM

ojwk is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes so a combination of the two is needed

My sig is best viewed using any other browser than IE
Old 04-19-2006, 07:32 PM

nobody4422 is on a distinguished road

Its not just corruption from within the struggling governments that keep them down. There is also the corruption of the governments and organizations giving the money.

Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.

"It's a better life!"
Old 04-20-2006, 12:03 AM

well, theres still money getting through, what were discussing is what to do with the money that does

but i see your point, although its hard to image that the red cross would have much corruption
Old 04-20-2006, 04:42 AM

Storm is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all we need to realize that their poor because 'we' made them poor..
So we have an obligation so to say to help them out. That the ammount of money we'd need to spend to make 'm wealthy again is now way more then we took (like the Dutch in their 'golden century') should be our problem.
I understand that we can't just give all we have to those countries, we have budgets too and our countries to run. But we may see part of it as a long term investment.
I'll leave corruption out of it, because I realy wouldn't know how to change the mind of a country's leader who is corrupt as hell and wants all the money for himself.
But innequality is now artificialy maintained by trade barriers set up, which comes down to unfair protection of our own industries and farmers. And when we buy raw recources from a 3rd world country, we pay low prices. But when selling refined goods back, we charge too much. But without the propper economy and industry to process all this themselves they have no other choice.
To help them become selfsustainable we need to invest in those industries, making them more independent from western processing industries. I believe this has already worked for certain NIC's (New Industry Countries I believe..) can't remember which they were but I believe N/S Korea and some others.. To run these new industries good education is needed, which is a long term thing, but we can help it by offering special schollarships to people with good learning skills from those countries and organise exchanges between students from western and 3rd world countries. This way part of our knowledge will find it's way to the 3rd world countries and we'll learn some of their way of thinking (having to survive in a way they have ton survive stimulates a bright and smart way of solving problems).
And in the end we'll profit from ex-3rd world countries, who might speed up the overal economic growth (worldwide) by healthy trading and innovation.
See them as potential customers, cause they'll have more to buy from us when they have more money to spend .

That's a bit of how I look at it, please correct me on any spot you feel too, I kinda wrote this in a hurry and didn't have any references with me.

ps. isn't it strange that the continent which has the most natural recources of all, and more rare metals then we can think off (actualy WE think of them all the time..) is the poorest of all?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:32 AM

yeh, it makes you wonder what wouldve happened if we hadnt conquered africa but just tradede with em or something, left them to be =P

what i find interesting that the former third world countries which werent given help have been much more succesful than those given help. china for example. basically, even the soft loans which we gave them have done more harm than good

fair trade is definately a very important thing imo. the problem in my opinion however is that fair trade goods are often more expensive than regular goods, and people not educated on its concept are very unlikely to buy fair trade products. a relating problem (atleast here in finland) is that the fair trade goods are located in their own shelf, no wonder i havent seen em. if i want to buy chocolate i go to the sweets section, not the dusty fair trade corner. i think all the fair trade goods should be distributed amongs the normal goods
Old 04-20-2006, 07:50 AM

Storm is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzshka
fair trade is definately a very important thing imo. the problem in my opinion however is that fair trade goods are often more expensive than regular goods, and people not educated on its concept are very unlikely to buy fair trade products. a relating problem (atleast here in finland) is that the fair trade goods are located in their own shelf, no wonder i havent seen em. if i want to buy chocolate i go to the sweets section, not the dusty fair trade corner. i think all the fair trade goods should be distributed amongs the normal goods
Yeah, with the economies in europe being a bit down last few years (think they are rising again) people (as for me as well) didn't go for what's best for the world, but what's best for their wallets. And I can't realy blame them.
In the supermarket where I work now and then, they have the biological and fairtrade (not alot of fairtrade things actualy) at the same place as the 'normal' products, so you'll find your fairtrade chocolate bar next to the normal chocolate bars .
Best would ofcourse be fairtrade products only .
Old 04-20-2006, 08:52 AM

i think some government funded awereness campaigns would be in order...