Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Archives > Archived: Tatsumaki

Archived: Tatsumaki Discuss all things related to Tatsumaki: Land at War, here.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Peace Artist

Tenshin is on a distinguished road
Default Training Anywhere

Not that I didn't wanna do a search, but the forums are dead so I don't care if this has already been touched upon.

I want to know if we can train anywhere. For instance:

Sensei at the dojo gives me a new technique. I go for a walk by the river and wander into the forest, finding a large tree I practice my technique.

Is this beneficial in game? also:

After practicing the technique I find a large stone and carry it, practicing running and leaping with the stone in my hands to increase speed and strength.

And this:

Finally I find a nice tranquil spot and rest, sitting in seiza to meditate on my breath, increaing my focus, awareness and connection of mind and body.

I'd like to see that such a ritual could be beneficial to my character's progression. It would open a whole new venue. The ability to train yourself outside the dojo, and the possibility for the development of sociapathic mountain warriors and hermits. What are the specifics and limitation for things like these?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Tatsumaki Video Producer

Masamune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Masamune Send a message via MSN to Masamune
Default Re: Training Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiryuu Tenshin View Post
Not that I didn't wanna do a search, but the forums are dead so I don't care if this has already been touched upon.

I want to know if we can train anywhere. For instance:

Sensei at the dojo gives me a new technique. I go for a walk by the river and wander into the forest, finding a large tree I practice my technique.

Is this beneficial in game? also:

After practicing the technique I find a large stone and carry it, practicing running and leaping with the stone in my hands to increase speed and strength.

And this:

Finally I find a nice tranquil spot and rest, sitting in seiza to meditate on my breath, increaing my focus, awareness and connection of mind and body.

I'd like to see that such a ritual could be beneficial to my character's progression. It would open a whole new venue. The ability to train yourself outside the dojo, and the possibility for the development of sociapathic mountain warriors and hermits. What are the specifics and limitation for things like these?

For all this you would need a REALLY interactive environment though, and in an MMO that's really difficult. Not that they're bad ideas, but take a major single player game like Oblivion, even the environment in that is only interactive to a certain degree. So, being able to find a random large stone in the environment and to pick it up, move it around the game world, and gain skill from it seems pretty difficult to do.

I can see meditation working similarly like special potions act in other games where it gives you increased benefits for a short duration, but I'm not sure if it should be a huge benefit to meditate and train yourself through those means (would make for some boring gameplay too).

Something similar to the tree though would work, although I do think Sykoi mentioned about having dummies you can practice on at a dojo or ones you can buy. I'm not sure if it's plausible to give a character the ability to go out and whack a tree for hours and hours and gain more skill, because after all... a tree can't hit back. So, I guess to counter this, you gain more skill by practicing on live targets and receive less skill by practicing on targets like a tree or dummy (I mean skill by focusing your attributes since Tatsumaki doesn't actually have "skills").

It's great to have all these options, but it's a matter of balancing the game so it's fair for people and also a matter of not making the game too complex because development time is a big factor and right now there still isn't as much to show for with the game as there should be or as we would like (at least my own personal opinion).
Old 01-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Im street *****, WU-TANG!

selmo has a spectacular aura aboutselmo has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to selmo Send a message via MSN to selmo Send a message via Skype™ to selmo

well my input on your idea, is you seem to be talking about gridning, training the same stuff over and over again to make your cahracter stronger. Sykoi has said many times this is not a grinding game. Plus i believe skills will be on sliders. for example, if you shop wood all day your gonna be strong, but if you pick up a thread and needle your not gonna be able to thread it without alot of difficulty because of the brute strength youv gained. Now if you sew all day you can thread a needle easily but wont have the strength or consititution to chop wood all day.

If you want to view paradise,
Simply look around and view it,
Anything you want to, do it
Wanta change the world? There's nothing to it
Old 01-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Sykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond repute

Doing actions will shift your attributes slowly towards whatever action you are doing, which doesn't greatly improve your ability to do this, but it does help. Other then that, learning something in Tatsumaki is all about you the player learning it.
There is no grinding in Tatsumaki, so yes you can learn to fight anywhere you want, dojos, schools, etc. are just a central location for knowledge, help, and tutoring.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Peace Artist

So if I train my strikes, I'll be training my ability to execute the combos to do different strikes. But if I spend my time whacking a tree with a bokken, I'll gradually get a stronger strike? And if I sit an meditate by the river I'll gradually become more focused or whatever meditation does for me?
Old 01-09-2007, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Sykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond repute

Tatsumaki is not a grinder
Tatsumaki does not have levels or skill levels
Tatsumaki does not involve "Go kill monster x" or "Go talk to NPC ____ to learn skill _____"

Attributes are simply the equivalent of gaining muscle mass or learning to breath better while running... Its not something that will change the game, its just something that will help your character do things easier, longer, and so on. They're also in place to help control the economy, so not everyone can instantly become a master at making swords just because they read a tutorial.

Which, by the way, is something I want to make sure is against every single EULA and agreement a user agrees to before playing the game. I do not want players to be able to read walk throughs on a site and instantly know how to do things ingame. I don't even want to see this information outside of the game.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:08 AM
Telly.D

Telsist is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Telsist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykoi View Post
Which, by the way, is something I want to make sure is against every single EULA and agreement a user agrees to before playing the game. I do not want players to be able to read walk throughs on a site and instantly know how to do things ingame. I don't even want to see this information outside of the game.
Do me a favor and add into that EULA a password that is required to even play the game. I saw it once in a game. You could not run the game until you read the EULA because it contained a password which was necessary. =P That was the best EULA I'd ever seen. It was pretty funny.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:39 AM
Peace Artist

That's actually a good idea.

I know there's no grinding, and all that stuff from the Wiki, but training does do something, does whacking a tree have similar benefits as whacking a dummy in the dojo? That's my question, how open is training? can you essentially train anywhere?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Yes, dojos and the like just offer an area where knowledge and experience are amassed, and easily accessible.