Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Archives > Archived: Polls and Surveys

Archived: Polls and Surveys Polls and surveys will be housed here; only developers are allowed to create new threads.

View Poll Results: Which death system?
Re-incarnation 53 25.00%
Perma-death 37 17.45%
Injury Induced Sleep 77 36.32%
Spirit 45 21.23%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Ikko Family Founder

Ronin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ronin
Default Re: [Poll] Death

I think the death system was already decided a while ago....

"I can't believe I fell for that" -Sun Tzu

Quotes Mean Nothing, My actions shall silence all their useless words.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2006, 12:44 PM

TheeFlash is on a distinguished road

I think that reincarnation is the best, but injury induced sleep should be called injury induced coma just so it seems more serious. As for the reincarnation thing, if buldings could be "abandoned" for other players to claim then when players were reincarnated then they would be the first one to know that their house was "abandoned" and just go reclaim it.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:35 PM

Adaox is on a distinguished road

I voted on the reincarnation death system, but I have a diferent idea, a mix of the previous options. I think death should not be the only out of combat state. Player's situation could be the reflex of how bad the injuries are. Here's my idea:

1)Unconcious: The most comum out of combat state, because most times the human body stops fighting before its dead. It may be caused by many things like strong pain, being knocked out in a fight by some tecniques, being beated, sufering some blood loss, geting sick, etc. Player will be unable to do anything during a time period proportional to the injuries sufered, having some dizzyness during a short recovery time. Of course some weapons and tecniques are more likely to be non letal.

This a realistic PvP game, so players need a way of fighting each other without getting killed, otherwise people would just stay in home avoiding risk, which is realistic but boring, or would just getting killed and coming back for more, what is very unrealistic. People should be disencouraged for killing without need by local laws and a NPC reputation system, at least while they are in towns.

Ex; Someone keep anoying you. You can just ignore, you can just beat him and give him some time to think or you can kill him and be in trouble with the autorities.

2)Coma You're almost dead. Consider this a second chance for staying alive. This is caused by much more serious injuries but your vital points are still untouched. When you fall in this state a race against time will start. Your remaning lifespan is limited to some minutes without others help (something about 5-30 min). As greater the damage, shorter is the reamaning time. When it hapens, your spirit will rise. But instead of walking back to your body, you will have another task, looking for help.

While in spirit state you will run searching for people and will try to comunicate with them. Of course the chance of sucess is small, because most of the time they will not hear you, and they might ignore you. The probability of being heard or noted by someone of the same family of your is higher. Them you will guide him/her somehow (i have no big idea about this, perhaps a bad feeling, a shiver, few words, whatever). While in this state you'll be unable to do anything else.

After half of the remaing time is past, you can chose give up if the rescue is impossible, and die. The coma state can also be used as an way of giving you a cruel slow death. Your enemie can make just damage enough for putting you into coma, forcing you to wait some minutes.

After someone saving you, you'll stay under treatment for some game days, and will recive some atribute penalties for some time. During this time you better stay out of problems.

3)Dead: You're dead. But not everything is lost. You will reincarnate a new character with a percentage of the previous atributes and knowledges. You'll start back in the Dream Land before, wich gives the chance of having a completly diferent new character.

When you die you have 2 options. Releasing the spirit and reincarnating with something about 50% of the previous atributes and knowledge. Or waiting for someone to give you an proper funeral before your corpse fully decomposes. The better the body state during the funeral, the better is the the percentage of atributes reincarnated, perhaps something up to 90%. This may not be realistic, but encourages people for taking care of their friends and relatives bodies, instead of leting them rot in the fields.

Note that while you're out of combat, you are completly defenseless, and people may do wathever they want with you and your items. If you die, everithing you had is lost. Who first claim will be now the owner. Anyway, you can always convince the new owners to give "your" things back. Well, this is my idea.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:44 AM

Roshi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: [Poll] Death/my 2 yen (long)

This is mere speculation, I understand that a 'death scenario' has already been laid out for Tat/LW. I'm just blowing smokerings in the air...

The Generational Hand-Me-Down System -

When you create a character for the first time in my scenario, the first thing you must realize is that you come from a big NPC family, and that honor demands that these family members carry on with your life if it ends. You have a stock of 3 older brothers, (or sisters if female) 3 younger brothers, and hundreds of younger NPC cousins to call on the chance that all 7 brothers die.

The first time you die, (really die; cold, stiff, ain't comin' back to Georgia - dead) your first 'older brother' appears at the door. After your death, you have been given a trip to char creation screen to make the look of this 'older bro', and to give him a new first name. The first name of your 'original char' is now only good for a headstone. This brother, because he is older and wiser, begins the game with the exact same attributes/level/skill set that you carried when you die. He gets ALL your stuff, money/goods/chattel/property handed down to him. A penalty on exp, ( lets say 20% reduction of current exp bar) this is the only real penalty an 'older' brother has to deal with. That and the loss of items taken from the corpse. You now play the game as this brother.

After four deaths, the 'older' brothers are used up, and now a 'younger' brother shows up to inherit. This 'younger' brother still gets all your stuff, but his attribs/level/skill sets are NOT as high as the older brother's: because you are now younger, less wise, and a little bit less experienced.

After 3 younger brothers have died, some generic, younger cousins come to take control. As you might guess these guys are a dime a dozen, and while they have the same attribs/and skill sets as your dead char had, they are a full level below the deceased.

This system baciscally gives your gamers 7 chances to learn not to die, implements a meaningful death, and ensures continuity to the characters lives. The brothers and cousins level as you do, (not in game, they do not exist incountry until you die) and live in a closet like a clone, waiting for their chance. It is a replication or reincarnation theory with some teeth in it.

Again, this is just musing...

Let's say the Gen Hand-Me-Down system is implemented in a game. I am not hashing over the actual actions/duration/bailouts that the perma-death is affected by. Comas, unconsciousness, grave wounds can be implemented however the dev would wish, here I am only speculating about what happens after the worms have realized you are dinner.

Now the pinnacle of the Gen HMD would be to reach a high level without dying. Say you reach the level 45. At that time you are rewarded for your achiement with a unique title, (along with any special goodies the devs wanna hand out with the happy Meal). You are now a mighty Firstborn! Because you are now mighty and wise, you get the right to begin training your brothers in the ways of the world. Let's say each level you ding after 45 you get to spend 15% (apart from your own exp earned) of earned exp on the first, older brother. That way if (and when you die) your brother has the chance to learn a skill or earn an attribute that your Firstborn missed or cannot learn in his lifetime.

This would give the 'griefer' a real good reason not to kill indiscriminately, (if he wants the title). At least until he dies the first time. In scope, it could make ALL pvp encounters meaningful - especially if you hand out cool titles and goodies for every brother that inherits. If items earned by an inheriting brother are revoked with the titles they lose, after seven deaths, one could stand alot to lose if he is forced to accept a 'cousin' in to the household...

Murder - Killing - and War

Murder - PvP Killing. You get six brothers to fall back on until you have to exect cousins. Six. You lose the title of Firstborn (or any chance to get the title) if you die and you have initiated a non-duel, non-war, PvP encounter.

Killing - PvP Killing in a duel, (an agreed upon encounter). You get an unlimited number of brothers who inherit, but will lose the title of Firstborn (and the chance to get the title) if you die in a duel you have initiated.

Killing - PvP Killing in a declared War. You get an unlimited number of brothers, and inherit the title (or the chance for it) if you fall in honorable battle.

Murder - NPC Killing (friendlies). You get six brothers to fall back on until you have to exect cousins. You will lose the title (and chance) if you die while killing a 'friendly' NPC'

Killing/Murder/Duel - NPC/MOB (aggro'd) You get an unlimited number of brothers to fall back on if you die in an encounter with an aggro'd NPC. You lose the title and the chance if you die.

Special Circumstances - Assassins/Outlaws/Lawmen - PvP Murder in an assigned role (quests). You have an unlimited number of brothers to call, but lose the title and chance for it, if you die while performing an assigned task to kill another player.

Special Circumstances - War/Assassins/Outlaws/Lawmen/Self Denfense - NPC Murder/Killing in an assigned role (friendlies/aggro'd/quests). You have an unlimited number of brothers to call upon. You inherit the title or chance.

Special Circumstances - Self Defense - Players killing Players in uninitiated combat - Unlimited brothers, inherit title, no exp penalty, lootable corpse.

Sorry this is long. Again, I'm musing about the perfect system. And I'm not saying my idea is perfect by any means, I'm not here looking for flames. Just bouncing a ball off a wall is all...

Last edited by Roshi; 02-20-2007 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Peace Artist

Tenshin is on a distinguished road

I don't think those ideas would work for tatsumaki, they're good and all, but if you read the wiki you'd know that there are no levels, attributes or skills in Tatsumaki. The skill in Tatsumaki is much like an arcade game, it depends on the player's abilities and skills, and not the character. Which makes a permadeath system just fine. You die. You come back as someone else, and you retain all the things you as the player remember how to do.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:29 PM

Roshi is on a distinguished road

My friend, I am not saying this idea that I have presented should, or could be implemented in Tat. The topic of conversation is dear to my heart is all. The other ideas that share this thread just made me muse upon the way a 'different' and, perhaps, meaningful way to make a 'perma-death' system take shape in any game is all. Perhaps this was the wrong thread to spout on. For that you have my apologies.

Thank you for reading my post. And thank you for compliementing it as good. But really, I'm just throwing a penny in the well...

Last edited by Roshi; 02-20-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:52 AM

Adaox is on a distinguished road

I saw the wiki and yes, there are no levels, and no, the game has atributes, they do exist. The only diference is that they are less important than in other games. If you chop lumber, you'll get stronger, if you run alot, you'll gain endurance, or anything like that. They are also shown in a graph instead of numbers, so you never know exactly how much strong you are.

What about the ingame skill and lore you aquired? If it's all about pressing the right button at the rigth time, in the right order, why should people waste their time having a sensei? They could just see the moves in a fansite. I think this would make the game less fun.

Since these subjects aren't well defined, i don't realy know the best option. If everything is like Tenshin wrote, this game has NO character building, and perma death is aceptable.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Sykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond repute

We're actually going to try to add something into the EULA about fansites revealing ingame information. We can't stop them from putting information on their site, but we can stop the people who do it from playing the game
Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Peace Artist

Tenshin is on a distinguished road

And either way, you can go look up mitsurugi's moves from Soul Caliber and write them down, but you'll still get your but whooped by an experienced player. Same deal. Sensei would provide a structure to the order you learn things, letting you learn something first that helps in your ability to learn the next thing. Much better (and more fun) to learn the moves in-game.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:15 PM

Kriya is on a distinguished road
Post Re: [Poll] Death

I just have to say first that I've been looking for an mmorpg that even had the possibility of perma-death being included for a long time. I don't play a lot of popular games out there for the sole reason that they don't have harsh enough penalties for death. Of course, because of this I haven't played one of these games in a long time (not that I've ever found this kind of thing; the closest was Shadowbane with it's fully lootable corpses).

That being said, if a game is going for strong roleplaying, it'd almost have to have perma-death. Otherwise trying to roleplay death and killing people can become pretty silly. Also, without many negative consequences associated with dying, there would be no reason not to just go around killing people (causing a character to be deleted would motivate other players to seek to avenge the death and would probably greatly decrease the life expectancy of the killer). But I realize that, while I wouldn't mind building myself up from scratch again, many players probably would. The whole spirit thing seems like a good balance - it'd leave the extreme possibilty of perma-death while not alienating players who are against it, and it wouldn't be as difficult as other options to stick into the roleplay aspect, though I'd much rather the risk of perma-death be on the higher side in this instance. Perma-death would also make any kind of power you can gain that much more meaningful, as it will actually be a challenge to hold onto it. I'd be very interested to see the numbers of people who would play a really good perma-death mmog. Who knows, it might not be the best business decision, but then again, it might attract all of the crowds looking for something fresh and different.