Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Archives > Archived: Polls and Surveys

Archived: Polls and Surveys Polls and surveys will be housed here; only developers are allowed to create new threads.

View Poll Results: Should there be 3rd person view in Tatsumaki?
Yes - Option/Button to Switch to 3rd Person View 133 94.33%
No - Only 1st person view 8 5.67%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Sykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: [Poll]1st or 3rd

Well the reason so many people want it (To my understanding) is that not many people have Dolby 5.1 hooked up to their computers, nor can they feel a hand on their shoulder, or "sense" someone coming - all of these things are possible in real life, but not possible in a first person game.

Thats why I'm leaning towards the blind spot based on the speed / noise caused by anyone inside said spot.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2005, 08:47 AM
Volitional Outcast

Kingsama is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Kingsama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykoi
Well the reason so many people want it (To my understanding) is that not many people have Dolby 5.1 hooked up to their computers, nor can they feel a hand on their shoulder, or "sense" someone coming - all of these things are possible in real life, but not possible in a first person game.

Thats why I'm leaning towards the blind spot based on the speed / noise caused by anyone inside said spot.

I would love the fp game with the surround sound and perhaps a shift to 3rd person only during melee combat. Though i understand the limitations that would mean for the non 5.1 crowd. The blind spot system sounds like a great way to fix this though, perhaps another suggetion would be a sound compus of sorts simular to what you see in ghost recon. here is a screen of the game in which you can see a small circle in the middle of the bottom of the screen. When their is noise around you the area in which the noise is coming from comes up yellow, when you are being fired upon the direction comes up red. It is very crude in GR, but could easily be adapted to this game in order to accomadate the fp players.

Also, In the proposed 3rd person view what will happen when someone behind you makes noise? Will they be revealed? or will it be something more subtle?

Old 05-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Shogun of all Japan

connick is on a distinguished road

I can somewhat sympathize with that. There will likely be times where I am playing with my speakers off entirely. My thoughts are this however: If someone sneaks up and attacks you from behind (be it in 1st or 3rd) you won't see them attacking you and you can only assume that the attack came from behind and you will naturally turn around. Likewise if someone is playing with low-end speakers and they hear the sound of footsteps, they would simply look around to see where they were coming from. Using 3rd person to view armor and combat animations is forgivable, but I don't like doing it to placate users who want to know when ninjas are approaching without having to make the tiny effort of moving their mouse to look behind them. That's just a player being lazy.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Sykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond repute

Connick you don't seem to understand - you won't be able to see anyone sneaking up on you

King: Adding a sound compass would kind of ruin the feel of the game - such a tool is more at home in a futuristic and/or gun-based game, not something based in 16th century Japan

Heres a (very) simple drawing (made in Paint) to show how third person would work (I made it 2d, I don't want to try drawing 3d in Paint )

As you can see, anyone in front of you is fully visible, however - anyone behind you is slightly opaque if moving at a decreased speed, fully visible if moving quickly / making a lot of noise, and completely invisible if moving very slowly.

This is just a temporary fix invented on paper, so it may or may not be in the final version - but right now, this is the best solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stealth.gif
Views:	490
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	19  
Old 05-13-2005, 10:56 AM

Location: Arkansas, yes part hillbilly but well traveled and well cultured :)
Soil is on a distinguished road

i voted for the option to 3rd person.
well, it's one of my main make or break issues. for the fact i've played many 1st person view games in my time and i enjoy 3rd person more-so than any other. i really like watching my character perform his actions and such. it helps me feel more immursed in the game. Especially since this game will have lots of martial arts styles. This will make me want to watch it all that much more. plus i feel 1st person is very old school and has a very closterfobic feel. you usually are only able to see 45 degrees in front of you and as for realism that isn't it. we are able to see 120 degrees normally but only 90 degrees are clear and the other 15 degrees to each side is perifrial vision.

So as in a game if i have to use 1st person then the view scope should be at least 75 degrees minimum. without making everything distorted.

which is another reason i prefer 3rd person, it naturally allows the 120 degrees of view but without having to distort the images. Plus we normally are able to turn our heads very quickly.. but in a game this usually isn't the case. were as 3rd person allows us to see for a short distance behind us at all times.

if people are concerned about the "sneaking" ability, technology these days have gotten to the point to where you can appear to be completely invisible for the rogue types, which 3rd person will not have any henderance or shouldn't have any henderance on sneaking for the ninja types.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Shogun of all Japan

I understand the concept. If a player is moving quietly behind you he won't show up. But a noisy player behind you will show up. I think this kills some realism because you shouldn't be able to see a player behind your character no matter how much noise they are making. And what's with the opacity? That sounds akin to magical invisibility to me, and not only that, but what difference will that make to a player? Seeing someone approach while they are slightly opaque is effectively the same as a fully visible character model, unless of course your vision is so bad that you don't notice the half see-through person coming.

3rd person is doable if you stick to the blind-spot method, but I don't like the idea of seeing stealthers if they are noisy while behind or next to you. You should notice the noise and turn around.

This also makes me think, what if a person is walking backwards? Let's say there is a solid rank of soldiers behind you and you are backing up. Once you back into them you won't be able to keep walking, and you will have no idea what is blocking your progression until you turn around. Seems a little odd to me.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:20 PM
Administrator

You'll be able to see them if they're touching you or something along those lines.
Don't think of the blind spot method that I mentioned as magical invisiblity - think of it was a fix.
Since you aren't the player, and you aren't ingame - you sacrifice a lot of your senses; normally just about anyone can tell if someone is behind them if they move around, or make a lot of noise - but if they don't... Well, you have no idea.

The opaque thing is just something I came up with - probably won't be ingame... But it lets you know that they aren't in your FoV.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Shogun of all Japan

I follow your logic. I guess we can work it out in beta.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:16 PM

SunWuKong has a spectacular aura aboutSunWuKong has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connick
And what's with the opacity? That sounds akin to magical invisibility to me, and not only that, but what difference will that make to a player? Seeing someone approach while they are slightly opaque is effectively the same as a fully visible character model, unless of course your vision is so bad that you don't notice the half see-through person coming.
I see partially-visible working as a fleeting glimpse. Something in the corner of your eye. You have a chance of noticing someone trying to be stealthy. But if your concentration is on the opposite part of the screen, you might not notice them. This would give sneaks a chance to re-adjust their movement.
example:
"Oops. I'm moving a little too fast. If I stop, he might not notice me."
Then the person can move directly behind their target and move more slowly.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Ninjitsu Master

Racoon of Hell is on a distinguished road

I'm all for the 3rd person view with the opaque fix. It just seems fair for users with different tastes, and I'm one of them. Some like 1st person view, but that doesn't mean we can't let the others have the view THEY want.