Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > General > The Katana

The Katana A place to sit and chat about anything excluding Tatsumaki: Land at War.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:41 AM
2D

ninjaxmaster is on a distinguished road
Default PS2 Games Region Encoded?

So, I think I made a big blunder. When I was in Canterbury, in England, Great Britain, whatever, I bought Tenchu: Fatal Shadows, because I had not seen it anywhere in my city, so I was like 'sweet, tenchu, must buy.'

So I asked the guy at the sales desk if PS2 games were region encoded, because I live in Canada, and if they are I wouldn't be able to play the game when I get home. The sales guy tells me it's fine and I wouldn't have any problems with it. A few days later in the trip I take the game out to get a look at the instruction manual and stuff, and notice on the case is says PAL (which is the european region code, correct?). So I'm just sitting there wondering what the crap this is about, so I flip the case over and on the back in small printit says 'This game is only playable in Playstation 2 computer entertainment systems displaying the PAL logo'. So now I'm really annoyed, because I really did not think that PS2 games were region specific, but I guess I'll have to try it out on my PS2 anyways, and if it doesn't work, I'll sell it to EBgames, because they're probably the only videogame store that hires people with as little videogame knowledge as possible.

Well I can't test it out yet, because I guess when I was on holiday my parents got a new TV and surround sound system and I can't find my PS2's power cable in the mess of wires behind the entertainment console.

ちぐるま とう :The Blood Wheel Clan Family!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Tatsumaki Video Producer

Masamune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Masamune Send a message via MSN to Masamune
Default Re: PS2 Games Region Encoded?

Yeah, its pretty much worthless if you can't play PAL. Pretty much every country in Europe (as far as I know) plays PAL, which is less superior to NTSC in my opinion since PAL is about 20fps and NTSC is 25/24fps.

You can always get a mod chip installed on your PS2 so you can play all imports. But a good rule of thumb is to avoid buying anything electronic out of your home country.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:25 PM

SunWuKong has a spectacular aura aboutSunWuKong has a spectacular aura about

Be careful with a mod chip. Heard of a lot of people frying their systems putting one in. (Buy a cheap PAL PS2 online?)

Had problems with foreign DVD's, too. Labeled NTSC, Region 9 (all region). Didn't work when I got them home.
arg.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:32 PM
2D

ninjaxmaster is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunWuKong
Be careful with a mod chip. Heard of a lot of people frying their systems putting one in. (Buy a cheap PAL PS2 online?)

Had problems with foreign DVD's, too. Labeled NTSC, Region 9 (all region). Didn't work when I got them home.
arg.
I thought Region 0 was all region, that's what I got my Gorillaz Demon Days Live DVD in, and it works.

I figure I'll just take it to the nearest EB games and get 10$ for it or something. I don't want a mod chip, every person that has had one that I know has a very messed up PS2, mostly just with their audio, I guess their PS2's stopped playing the audio files, which I thought was hilarious because half of them got mod chips so they could burn DDR games, and without music it's difficult and stupid.

I might go for a cheap PAL PS2 if there's one that's under 30$, because I'm not paying three times the cost of the game just to be able to play it.

ちぐるま とう :The Blood Wheel Clan Family!
Old 07-24-2006, 03:35 PM
ケーキはうそだ

Senshi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Senshi Send a message via MSN to Senshi

If you get a PAL PS2 you need a PAL TV.

There was this thing called a Freeloader which let me play Gamecube games from other Regions and also lets ppl play PAL game on NTSC TVs and NTSC games on PAL TVs. I'm not sure if there is one for PS2 tho.

Kumamoto Leader \ Former Meitochi.com Owner
Forum Moderator \ Tatsumaki Anime Director

Go: Kumamoto Clan | Info & Joining Kumamoto
Old 07-24-2006, 03:57 PM
The Savage Wolf

Svage is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Svage Send a message via Yahoo to Svage

It is not hard to install a chip in a PS2. I never had any problems and have done it like 3 times. You just have to be kinda carefull.

-Warning-
I am out of prozac and patience, and I have a .357

(translated to fit in with T:LAW)
Be wary, I am lacking both in mood and patience, and my blade is both fast and sharp.

(edited to fit for Yama)
Your getting on my nerves, leave before I injure your inner child with my fist.

Short stories by ME
Old 07-24-2006, 09:48 PM
pimp NINJA

masterofwind is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to masterofwind

A mod chip would be a lot cheaper.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Sykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond reputeSykoi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not 100% on this, but I think there may be mod-chip alternative discs that allow you to play PAL games on NTSC PS2s.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:12 PM
Compiling Compiling

Zorbon is on a distinguished road

is the video chip different in a pal? if not then all you really need to do is flash you're ps2's bios with the pal bios ^^ (but then ntsc stuff won't work) or wait for ps3
this is what you get for being a noob, don't they teach yall in canada land that whatever you get in europe won't work in the rest of the world?

Views expressed by Zorbon are not necessarily reflections of EoE or its partners.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:02 AM
Tatsumaki Video Producer

Masamune is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Masamune Send a message via MSN to Masamune

I know for the PSX I have this thing that plugs in on the back and pretty much acts like a mod chip.

I'm not sure if you need a PAL tv though, but its probably best to get a dual NTSC/PAL tv since they cost the same as a normal one.

But, if I were you, I'd just sell the game and buy the NTSC version online.