Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Archives > Archived: General

Archived: General General discussions about Tatsumaki: Land at War go here.

View Poll Results: Whats your flavor for death?
Re-incarnation 5 38.46%
Perma-death 3 23.08%
Injury Induced Sleep 5 38.46%
Spirit 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2006, 10:29 AM

Almighty Malachi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Almighty Malachi
Default Re: Poll for Death again.

it doesn't really matter what type of death they use. they said it was hard to die, and even if you do, who cares? there's no "grinding" of experience or tryinhg for hours to get better. you don't really have to go to the dojos to learn stuff, once u learn it yourself you'll always know it. so when you die, the only thing you lose is your items, which won't be too hard to get again
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2006, 11:04 AM

Kasuga is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Kasuga Send a message via AIM to Kasuga Send a message via Yahoo to Kasuga Send a message via Skype™ to Kasuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malachi
it doesn't really matter what type of death they use. they said it was hard to die, and even if you do, who cares? there's no "grinding" of experience or tryinhg for hours to get better. you don't really have to go to the dojos to learn stuff, once u learn it yourself you'll always know it. so when you die, the only thing you lose is your items, which won't be too hard to get again
I agree. With the way things are sounding, it won't really matter and it will make RP a lot more interesting and fun
Old 03-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Nobuwa-Ryuu

MattyQ will become famous soon enoughMattyQ will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to MattyQ Send a message via MSN to MattyQ Send a message via Yahoo to MattyQ

REPOST from my orginal Death post:
I have to be honest that, as we're trying to be realistic, that I lean most towards permadeath.

However, there are ways that could still allow for things such as dueling and perhaps extended longevity:

Why not implement a 'subdual' damage system? For example, regular weapons would could cause health or both health and subdual damage. Then there could be weapons such as the bokan or certainly styles of hand-to-hand martial arts that deal only subdual damage to the point that someone is knocked out (or subdual and extremely minimal health damage). That would allow for permadeath to remain a realistic portion of the MMO, but still have the ability to do other realistic things such as sparring or defensive martial arts, and still win against real weapons.

ADDENDUM:
I still lean towards perma-death. I really don't want Nobuwa to die early on in the game, but I also appreciate realism in games. I would be inclined to combine, in a sense, the injury-induced sleep /with/ perma-death, in a way not dissimlar from Dungeons and Dragons, where at 0 hitpoints you are incapacitated, but not dead until... whatever the negative number is.

NOTE:
Before people go, "BUT TATSU DOESN"T HAB HP< NOOB!!!11one," I know. I was using an analogy.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:35 PM
Demon of the Shinsengumi

kyohisakawa is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry, if Perma-Death is ever in a game and you don't have the option to avoid it (non-hardcore servers) I wont play it. It's a game, as Sykoi has said before. Perma-death shouldn't have a place in a game.

No, there's no experience, but you took the time to make that character, build it's reputation, and form a community around that character. Having it gone just because you had to defend your Shogun from an upstart clan? Sure, people would remember you for being honorable, but what good is honor when you no longer exist?!

Realism can only go so far. There shouldn't be any penalty to death (other than the knowledge that you were humiliated), but maybe a minor set-back. Something you can alleviate with time. (Item condition wear, skill loss, negative "attributes" for an hour etc.)

Besides, you have to remember... for a video game to be successful, you need players. From my past experiences, I can guarantee people who want perma-death are a minority. No one wants to lose their character that they worked on due to something stupid. I mean, what happens if a group of brigands just decide to kill you and take your swords? Oops, sorry, have to make a new character!

So after that, I'd think that re-incarnation is the most logical choice. It just seems that, given the setting, it'd be the most "realistic" option. But if they already have a death system thought out, I support that one!

Oh and Malachi, if they have the item loss thing, I'll accept that. But still, I'd hate to lose my precious blade! It would be fun to go back and kill the guy that took it so you can get it back. Ha-ha, that's my Karma system!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:22 PM
Seven Star Style

Kamakiri is on a distinguished road

My biggest concern with perma death:

Somebody gets a little too angry at you, creates an alt. Since this game is skill based, not level based, his alt can charge you during a bad moment and kill you.

You just lost a character because of a guy that wants to kill you without reprocussion to his main character.

I think death should be like a timer you can't play that character.

somewhere between 5 mins, to an hour.

Death needs to impact battles. An hour would effectivly put you out of any large scale battle. this also makes assassination more viable before a siege.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:53 PM

Spike is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Poll for Death again.

They said they already decided the death system and from what I heard it doesnt' seem to be perma-death. And like people have said before if its "skill" based then theres no worries.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Seven Star Style

well I was just addressing my concerns with perma death. A skill-based system makes perma-death a bigger problem, not a lesser, IMO.

Hopefully Sykoi will reveal the secrets soon.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:17 PM

Why would it make it a bigger problem?
I see what your saying making an alt to kill u.... but I don't see a point in making an alt because the only real difference I can see between your "main" and alt would be equipment and money
Old 03-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Seven Star Style

Lets assume you are player A, and your mortal (however cowardly) foe is player B.

Player A and Player B engage in "foe" banter. Well, player B takes the insults a little too seriously. He doesn't want to risk having his main die.

Player B creates Alt C. Because in this game skill is king, making an alt on the fly doesn't matter. Alt C finds Player A doing something like farming or cutting down a tree or something, and proceeds to "backstab" Player A. He successfully took out Player A, without any reprocussion to Player B main. Alt C gets deleted, and he gets to gloat over taking you out.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:41 PM

So who cares, then you can come back and kill him. Thats just a natural thing that happens in most games. Looks like theres not really any consequence even with perma-death