Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Tatsumaki > History and Culture

History and Culture Discuss Japanese history and culture here

Old 10-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Bullet Proof Monk

ShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond repute
Default Naval facts of Feudal Japan.

Here's a link to a site with some interesting information.

http://www.artelino.com/articles/nav...e_dannoura.asp

(Some really good history around 12th C)
Old 10-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Nobuwa-Ryuu

MattyQ will become famous soon enoughMattyQ will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to MattyQ Send a message via MSN to MattyQ Send a message via Yahoo to MattyQ
Default The Dragon of Echigo and the Tiger of Kai

Uesugi Kenshin and Takeda Shingen are perhaps my two favorite historical characters of Japan. I was happy to see them appear in Samurai Warriors, but was disappointed at how little the game flushed out history. There were similar points, but I'll try to get things straight.

There are three points about Uesugi Kenshin that have been uncontested throughout history: his incredible combat ability, his prowess for military tactics and strategy, and his fanatical devotion to the god of war, Bishamoten.

Born Nagao Kagetora, the fourth son of the warrior Nagao Tamekage (noted for defeating Uesugi Sadanori and Funayoshi), was fourteen when he was first asked by a number of his father's aquaintances to take the field against his brother, Nagao Harukage. Harukage had seized control after Tamekage had been slain in a battle at Etchu, and under his poor leadership, the clan was ready to tear itself apart. Though reluctant, Kagetora was convinced of the necessity of removing Harukage, and in 1547, Kagetora became the uncontested ruler of Nagao clan, wrestling control from his brother.

Just as Kenshin set out to bring the rest of a fairly indepent Echigo province under his control, he was approached by two Shinani lords, Ogasawara Nagatoki and Murakami Yoshikiyo who requested his help in repelling the warlord Takeda Shingen. By the time Kenshin had become lord of Echigo, Shingen's major victories had brought him quite close to the borders of Echigo, and Kenshin, the Dragon of Echigo and rumored avatar of Bishamoten, agreed to take up sword against him.

The Tiger of Kai, Takeda Shingen, was born in 1521 and lived only until 1573. Born Takeda Katsuchiyo to the warlord Takeda Nobutora, Shingen helped his father in many of his undertakings, and became quite valuable to the Takeda clan, although still quite young.

At some point near to his coming-of-age, Takeda Shingen rebelled against his father and took control over the Takeda clan. It is rumored this was due to the fact that Nobutora had planned to name Shingen's younger brother Nobushige heir over Shingen. Whatever the case, Nobutora was forcibly retired in what has been cited as a 'bloodless coup'. Shingen recieved assistance from Yoshimoto Imagawa, forging an initial alliance between the families.

Shingen rolled a campaign across Shinano province, almost unstoppable in his victories. He was put in check during one battle by Murakami Yoshioki, and in so lost two of his generals. However, he returned and eventually defeated the Murakami clan. It was as Shingen finished conquering Shinano that he came up against his rival, Uesugi Kenshin.

The battles between the Dragon of Echigo and the Tiger of Kai would become a thing of legend. They engaged a total of five times at Kawanakajima, which after their first battle would become an anniversary ground for them. Though in the majority of the battles the warlods engaged carefully, gauging each other, the fourth was notoriously violent. It was in the fourth that the tale arises of Kenshin's troops forging a path for the warlord into Shingen's camp, so that the two engaged in single combat, Kenshin striking out with his great sword while Shingen defended with his warfan (gunpai/tessen). The battles occured in 1554, 1555, 1557, 1561, 1564.

It has been written that upon missing the anniversary of their battle in 1556, Kenshin wrote a letter to Shingen apologizing for not being at Kawanakajima and that in 1573, when Shingen died, that Kenshin wept for losing such a worthy adversary.

Shingen and Kenshin did far more then merely engage in battle with each other. You should read more about them, if you're interested. Wikipedia has quite a bit of info on both, and there are many books on the period that contain info on Shingen and Kenshin.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:07 AM
Bullet Proof Monk

ShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond reputeShininShado has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Famous Faces in the 16th century

Takeda Shingen is my favorite of Daimyos from Feudal Japan. I've read several different accounts of his exploits, some of which might be romanticised, but he was not defeated many times on the battle field. From my understanding and reading, he was the quentissential Japanese Samurai, feared on the battlefield, and admired and respected by those he ruled. His courage, resourcefulness, and strategic skill are all traits I admire about him.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:44 PM
Nobuwa-Ryuu

Send a message via AIM to MattyQ Send a message via MSN to MattyQ Send a message via Yahoo to MattyQ
Default Quick note

Just wanted to indicate that I haven't forgotten about this thread, and I shall continue to update it. Things are a little hectic working at the newspaper right now, since it is Election week, and I visit a college this weekend, so bear with me.

This will be transformed into a Famous Faces by, hopefully, tomorrow (Wednesday) night.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:52 PM
EoE Team

jhhsia is on a distinguished road
Post Famous Clan Leaders in Japan

Hi all, so here I am to talk about some famous clan leader in Japan.
The first one I want to talk about the guy who was named "The God of War." The famous 武田信玄(Takeda Shingen 1521-1573). During 20, he forced his own father(the previous Takeda clan leader Takeda Nobutora) away, and took control of the clan. His army always berries the flag 風林火山( wind, forest, fire, and mountain), and the reason being he wants his army to move like wind, to be calm like forest, to kill like fire and to not be shattered by enemy like mountain. His famous military method is called the Woodpecker method that he will separate his army into 2 smaller armies, one will face the enemy head on and another one will try to route to the back to the enemy and attack.

Last edited by jhhsia; 03-14-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 05:54 PM
The Will of Death

Location: My parents'. Although I'm only 17, so you can't really blame me.
Hige Katsumori is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Hige Katsumori
Default Re: Famous Clan Leaders in Japan

Wow, sounds like a powerful guy... Do you have any other information? I really don't know all that much about any historical leaders, and I think some of them are pretty interesting.

" Ah ****. I can't believe you've done this. "
Old 03-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Nobuwa-Ryuu

Hang on a sec.

http://www.eoeforums.com/showthread.php?t=1464&page=2

Here's the link to the thread where I wrote about Takeda Shingen. This was during my Famous Faces series, which has since cycled out.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:26 PM
EoE Team

jhhsia is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I am new here and didn't see the past posts. So how many people you have listed? I am trying to get most Clan leaders on here, and just gives a brief historical information about them. Hopefully this can stay longer so most people can get some more historical information about these leaders
Old 03-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Nobuwa-Ryuu

Don't worry about it! Famous Faces isn't on the list anymore, so I don't blame you for starting another one. ^_^ Maybe you can provide information I don't have on some of the people too. Either way, it'll work out.

I've done...
Tokugawa Ieyasu
Sanada Yukimura
Sanada Masayuki
Date Masamune
Miyamoto Musashi
Hattori Hanzo
Oda Nobunaga
Uesugi Kenshin
and Takeda Shingen.

I left off trying to find out some naval persons to do, but I'm still unable to track down any major naval names or pirates of the 16th century in Japan.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:19 PM
Bullet Proof Monk

Default Re: Clan Leaders of 16th C Japan and Their Banners/Kamon

I merged the threads, along with one on banners. You can change how far back your posts are displayed in the fields at the bottom of the forum - Shingen Takeda prolly my favorite.