Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Tatsumaki > History and Culture

History and Culture Discuss Japanese history and culture here

Old 08-27-2008, 05:54 PM

Artoriu is on a distinguished road
Question The Origins of the Ainu?

In case you don't know, the Ainu were probably the original inhabitants of what is now Japan. But where I have trouble is there origins. I've heard that the modern-day majority Japanese ethnicity came from Mongolia (north of China), but where did the Ainu come from? I'm almost certain that they came from the continent at some point in history.

The Ainu are described as having a rather Caucasian appearance, does that mean they are descended from Scythians (Iranian nomadic tribes)? Or are they an entirely different people altogether?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Full Time Tiger

Gheari is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Origins of the Ainu?

The Ainu have no Caucasian ancestry. They share their genes mostly with the Nivkhs, Mongolians, Koreans, and the modern Japanese people.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 PM

But it is curious how they look very different from the other Japanese, or even Koreans and Chinese . . . the Scythian theory may be possible (though by now they would be a lot less "Scythian," and more mixed).
Old 08-28-2008, 04:31 AM
Full Time Tiger

Looks really have nothing to do with it. Genetically they are not Caucasian. Also the Scythians came from the steppes into central Eurasia after the Ainu had already established themselves in Japan.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Ninjitsu Master

hessan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hessan

Ok. Let me clarify some things. The reason why the Ainu and the Yamoto (ethnic Japanese) peoples look different is not because they are that genetically different, but rather their origins. The popular theories on the Yamato is that they either came from the southern coast of China or Korea, who are closely related to the different ethnic groups from the general Chinese ethnic cluster.

Meanwhile, the Ainu are likely closely related to the Nivkhs of eastern Russia, who are in turn related to the Tungus ethnic cluster, which includes the Manchus and the Jurchens. However, note that the Tungus ethnic cluster is not closely related to or associated with the Mongol peoples or the other ethnic groups from Central Asia, though they may share a nomadic culture and/or have homelands in relative close proximity.

The Scythians are not in any, way, shape, or form, closely related to ANY of the groups I mentioned, despite being pastoral nomads. Rather, they are a part of the Iranian ethnic cluster, which originated in Central Asia and spread west into Europe and the Middle East like most ethnic groups from that region.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the answers everyone. Recently I've read some strange theory (no doubt biased), about the Ainu being of Dacian descent (Dacians were from modern-day Romania). That's highly improbable, no doubt, but then I've read some theories regarding the Scythians.

I think ultimately, the Ainu are a Mongoloid people, with possible Eastern Siberian origins.

Another interesting note: in the state of Washington, the United States, remains of a skeleton have been found, and genetically, it matches almost precisely that of the Ainu's genetics. I'll find the source (link) when I get the chance.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Ninjitsu Master

hessan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to hessan

I'm assuming you are talking about the Kennewick Man? The basis of it being supposedly Ainu is only though physical examination of the remains. No DNA research has actually been done as, though the remains are not connected to any particular tribe, they are protected by the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act.

As for the Dacians, who are a subset of the Thracians, DNA evidence and contemporary description places them as being closely related to the modern Greek and Italian ethnic groups.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Full Time Tiger

It is quite possible, and even probable, that the Ainu and early American people shared many of their genes. Seeing as how the Bering Land Bridge would have connected Eastern Siberia and modern Alaska.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gheari View Post
It is quite possible, and even probable, that the Ainu and early American people shared many of their genes. Seeing as how the Bering Land Bridge would have connected Eastern Siberia and modern Alaska.
Yes, it's very possible. However, I see a hole in this theory, the Ainu men (of Japan and eastern Russia) tend to be heavily bearded. Native Americans (most at least) are rarely bearded at all, if any. Does this mean that the Native Americans technically have a genetic inability to grow beards (or at least large ones)?

P.S. Don't accuse me of racism. I'm not a racist.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:58 AM
Full Time Tiger

Before I dive into my point. Hessan, your information is outdated. Researchers could find no cultural link to any tribe, thus Kennewick Man has been tested on. Kennewick man has shown quite a bit of genetic similarity to the Ainu people. It is also possible that there were multiple racial groups in the Americas.

Tags
ainu japan scythians race