Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Archives > Archived: Tatsumaki

Archived: Tatsumaki Discuss all things related to Tatsumaki: Land at War, here.

Old 08-20-2005, 02:56 AM
2D

ninjaxmaster is on a distinguished road
Default [Q] Gender Option

What I'm wondering at this point is...

In the game, will you only be allowed to play as the gender you are, or can you create characters of the opposite gender.

I feel that it should be that you can only play as your gender (this would be done by only allowign the player to pick the gender they registered for the game with). 'Why?', you may ask, well, the answer is...

Sometimes male players will choose to play as a girl character because some gamers sometimes give free items and money to female players (for reasons unknown to me, some guys just need to get out more I think).

I do wish that some players wouldn't take advantage of the easily persuaded gamer-boys, as I sometimes prefer a girl character over a guy character, such as with archers and thieves, the female characters often appear more dextrous and agile (this rarely ever has an actual effect in any games, just the appearance suits the character better than a male and some games a job/class is only available for a certain gender). When playing as a female character I try to assure other players I'm just a guy, but sometmes they just won't believe...

Anyways, I was just pondering this recently...

ちぐるま とう :The Blood Wheel Clan Family!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2005, 03:01 AM
ITS YELLOW TIME!

glowsticknation is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to glowsticknation Send a message via MSN to glowsticknation Send a message via Yahoo to glowsticknation
Default Re: [Q] Gender Option

i think it will be a decisions left on the hands of the player... because its incredibly focused on roleplay, you should be able to play that role... regardless of the reasons you do.

i personally don't like men who play women to rip people off, but its not their fault... its the guys who give them stuff... at the same time, i don't like it when men play women characters (i'll be honest, if its a girl i flirt... not for romantic pursuits, but just because its fun)... and i feel slightly... well... dirty... when i find out its really a man and didn't say anything... plus a wee-bit man, just because it was probably a big joke to them... moving on, its still my fault for doing so... so hindering people's chances because of the other gamer's wrong decisions shouldn't be done
-Tako-samurai
Old 08-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Peace Artist

Tenshin is on a distinguished road

Well for women characters, if you're keeping true to Japanese history, there will be a LOT of limitations. But I would be willing to ignore that to see a little variety.

As for your little problem Glow, if you're roleplaying, it's the characters' interactions, and not your own personal ones. No dirtiness to feel there. I have no problem with men playing women characters, I have a few female characters. I don't tell people on the internet that I'm a girl though, that's just wierd.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:15 AM
EoE Team

Link293 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Link293 Send a message via MSN to Link293 Send a message via Skype™ to Link293

One thing you may want to keep in mind, is that women were very looked down upon during this era, and if we are trying to keep it traditional, a woman role player should have an incredibly hard time becoming anything other than a farmer or merchant. Such as, hide the fact that she is a woman to become any type of warrior.

+ Boston web developer
Old 08-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Peace Artist

Tenshin is on a distinguished road

Well, I'm sure a woman could train in martial arts, and join certain dojos, but when it comes to taking missions and serving a lord, it would be rather difficult to get some slack there. But again, it's a game. I wouldn't complain if I'd seen female warriors running around Tatsumaki.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:09 PM

wicked is on a distinguished road

I think that females charaters should have the same standing as the male charaters in the game.

Because if you give females charaters speciel skills more male players will play female charaters and will result in female players will play male charaters.

WICKED!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:46 PM

poporo is on a distinguished road

maybe certain genders should have advantages?

"激水之疾,至于漂石者,勢也﹔鷙鳥之疾,至于毀折者,節也。是故
善戰者,其勢險,其節短。勢如張弩,節如發機
"
Old 08-22-2005, 12:47 AM
ITS YELLOW TIME!

glowsticknation is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to glowsticknation Send a message via MSN to glowsticknation Send a message via Yahoo to glowsticknation

i don't think that should be implimented... because alot of people have alot of different views on that and truth is hardly referenced in those views... in terms of abilities and such, everyone in the game should be equal... if some of the women want to roleplay as the role women actually played in that era, they should be able to... but there shouldn't be any incentives to play one gender over another

plus doing that could also cause community backlash at a later date... men storming the bastiles because women are better or vice versa
-Tako-samurai
Old 08-22-2005, 07:55 AM
Humble warrior

Leluu is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Leluu

Quote from Hayashita Furanku
Thread "[Q] Sexual Equality"
Quote:
If i'm not mistaken, this mmorpg takes place in the middle of the Sengoku "Warring States" period... so not only were women expected to manage households and finances while the men were off fighting, they were also called upon to fight when needed.

http://www.koryubooks.com/Library/wwj2.html

There had also been the traditional right of the woman to inherit property and manage it for herself... which goes as far back as the 12th century.

Either way, in this era of Japanese history, there are definitely important roles for women to play.
Quote from ODA-NOBUNAGA
Thread "[Q] Sexual Equality"
Quote:
"Were there any female members of the privileged social category of buke (aka “samurai class” as it is casually and loosely defined in the Western world) in the Japanese history who also practiced and possessed established martial arts skills?"
"
"Yes, there were, in fact, many. Those female martial artists were called “onna bugei-sha.”

"Tomoe Gozen captured the city of Kyoto in Japan in 1584 after winning the Battle of Kurikawa. She was described as being a strong archer and excellent swordswoman."

"Hojo Masako (1157-1225), wife of Minamoto Yoritomo and known as the "nun shogun". In keeping with customs of the time, Hojo Masako became a Buddhist nun upon the death of her husband in 1199. After Yoritomo's death, Hojo Masako along with her father and son, usurped the real ruling power from her dead husband's ruling Minamoto clan to her own Hojo clan. Her efforts gave the Hojo clan true power over the now 'puppet regime' Minamoto clan."

"Female ninja were classified as part of the kamae of sui (water) and were cultivate to manipulate energy through preying on increased feelings of emotional satisfaction; like the ocean, they would draw out, only to come back, like a wave at riptide, in unexpected ways. these women, or kunoichi as they were called, were given special training in psychological skills and intuition. Taught to manipulate men high-up in the enemy hierarchy, they were known to conceal blades inside musical instruments and sex toys. Shimma kunoichi, ninja family members, were trained as spies who were taught not to fall in love with their targets or lose sight of their ultimate goal after successful seduction."

"The naginata is a Japanese curved spear. Since the 15th Century it has been the traditional weapon of ladies of the bushi class."
Old 08-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Broken Artist

Kiros will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Kiros

Quote:
Originally Posted by poporo
maybe certain genders should have advantages?
I agree with you as long as its not a BIG difference, cause women are naturally more agile and flexible, were as men are sometimes stronger.
But if it gets crazy then youll have people being male or female based on what they want to specialize in cause they are lazy, or want an edge on the other players.
for example, Mithra in FFXI had high agi and whatever, so I was one in order to be a better thief class. Really there is nothing wrong in my opinion about specializing. but I think since this is a game, it would be best to make it equal from the start. This way there isnt an overflow of one gender.

Scared yet?