Eyes Out Entertainment Forums  

Go Back   Eyes Out Entertainment Forums > Tatsumaki: Land at War > Tatsumaki > Role-playing

Role-playing Post stories, character descriptions, or role-play as your character here.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:46 AM

Yagyu is on a distinguished road
Default OOC for Yagyu RPG

Ok so heres where we will post our character sheets, ask questions to me or any of my designated Yagyu RPG gms. This way we can keep the RPG thread running smoothly and novella like for any who want to read the stories of our great clan.

You can find the RPG at this link http://www.eoeforums.com/group.php?g...50#gmessage150

Right now only Yagyu Clan members are allowed to play. So if ya wanna play then join the yagyu lol. Later i might open it to some of our allies.
Please visit that link and read the rules as well as the first chapter of the story.
Anyone can join the RPG group but to post and play im currently only allowing Yagyu members.

ALSO as a Bonus to Yagyu Members who join the game before the month is up I shall Draw AND paint your character pictures. Just check the pics below from the manga im doing to get an idea of how the painted pics will look. So contact me and lets get some characters created.

Ok i WAS going to loosely base this off the Rifts RPG system but that system as fun as it may be is way to complicated for what i wanna do here. So im going to just up and create my own system, my own npc's, my own villains, ect. Ill borrow some stuff from rifts and other rpgs but i have a pretty simple and fun system in mind im working on it right now. Ill post how it works as soon as i test it and get it workin for us. Ideally id like to make this as close to the in game system as possible but im still unsure of how they r gonna work it. So when the alpha starts i may do an overhaul to my rpg system. Dont worry any experience will still be kept for players who will be playing b4 then. So yea contact me and we can start working on your character sheets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Munisai Cover.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	730.2 KB
ID:	848   Click image for larger version

Name:	kenpo2 copy.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	849  

Last edited by Yagyu; 02-23-2009 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 AM
The Savage Wolf

Svage is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Svage Send a message via Yahoo to Svage
Default Re: OOC for Yagyu RPG

Hey, Lemme know how to make a character and I'll have Ryubara Yama standing by for when you allow allies.

-Warning-
I am out of prozac and patience, and I have a .357

(translated to fit in with T:LAW)
Be wary, I am lacking both in mood and patience, and my blade is both fast and sharp.

(edited to fit for Yama)
Your getting on my nerves, leave before I injure your inner child with my fist.

Short stories by ME
Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 AM

How to make your Character Sheet.

Lesson One
OK so I have decided to create my own simple Easy to learn RPG system.
Cuz hey we want to play and have fun not spend Hours on end looking up stuff in rule books and agonizing over minor skill mods that we may never even use.
So I shall walk you thru the steps here on how you can create your starting character.
Again for all Yagyu members who post a fully made character sheet here I shall Personally Draw and Paint that character based on your description to the best of my ability.
If anyone else wants to use this roll play system im making feel free. Just give me the credit

So to make our character I am going to walk you thru by making my character Sheet for Jubei.

First we choose our name.
Name: Yagyu Muneyoshi Jubei Munetoshi Sekishusai

Next we choose our main profession of what we plan to be.

Profession: Samurai Wanderer

Im not gonna list professions because we don’t need classes right. That seems to be the prevailing opinion and one of the strengths of tatsumaki. We can therefore call ourselves a Samurai or Ninja and roll play them.

Next we Choose our age (I know we all knows this so this is character building for dummies lol)

Now our starting level is of course Level 1

LEVEL: 1

Now Im using what i call Fame Points. So to start our Fame is 0.

Fame: 0

Fame is our skill point system. As you Roll Play your character and do well with the acting, with working in conjunction with your characters personality, and successfully performing actions youll be awarded Fame Points at the end of Each Chapter. Save up your Fame Points or spend them on adjustments to your character, on new skills and abilities. Soon i will have a full price system in place. I will let you know when the chapter has ended as well so everyone can get their points and level their characters up and prepare for the next chapter.

Now we choose our alignment. Why do we want Alignments because I will be awarding Points largely based on how well you roll play your character. If you are Good but you go around killing and stealing well guess what your not gonna get awarded points. If you wish to change your alignment later in the game that will be possible but talk to me first so I can come up with a cool way to do it and a system for that lol.
I will explain the alignments here.

Good: This is our Superman alignment. These characters tend to be kinda self righteous and have hero complexes. They avoid killing and pride themselves on honesty.

Chaotic Good: This is your more Wolverine type character. They will do what it takes to see justice done but are not above killing.

Selfish: This character isn’t good or bad they tend to be very self absorbed. They will kill if they feel its worth it to them. They tend to be dishonest and dishonorable many of them tend to be Gamblers, Criminals and Yakuza. We don’t really like them in the Yagyu Clan lol

Secret Evil: Just as it implies these characters are flat out villains. But they hide what they are. Think Palpatine in star wars.

Villainous Evil: Again as it implies this character is openly evil.

So for Jubei I choose Good.

Alignment: Good

Now lets Build our character with my new patented 10 Attribute system.
Ok there are 10 attributes in my system
Instead of rolling you have 100 points you can use to build your character.
NOTE that in starting you can not have over 30 pts in any one stat. So you cant just slap everything into Speed and Damage. Also note you need a minimum of 3 Points per stat.

Constitution: This is your life Hit Points
Strength: This is your melee damage
Precision: This is your ranged damage if you are a ranged character
Stamina: This is your action cost. The more Stamina Points you have the better your chance is to use certain moves.
Agility: this is your ability to dodge or block attacks.
Luck: This is your ability to perform non combat tasks, such as finding stuff.
Intelligence: This will be your ability to Learn things.
Charisma: this is your ability to manipulate or effect others opinions.
Speed: This will determine who gets the first actions.

So for Jubei I built him like this.
Constitution: 20
Strength: 10
Precision: 3
Speed: 10
Agility: 10
Luck: 10
Intelligence: 10
Charisma: 7
Stamina: 20

There is a sub attribute that will start with the same base stat for all of us.
This is your attack. so it looks like this.
Attack: 10

This stat can be increased thru fame points later in the game.

Now that you have built your characters attributes we will take a look at our skills system.

Starting characters get to choose one Combat Skill and one Non Combat skill.
Skills are as follows.
Combat Skills:
Kenjitsu (Sword and spear Fighting)
Ninjitsu (a mix of armed and unarmed fighting
Kempo (hand to hand melee combat)
Kyudo (Literally the way of the bow this is our ranged combat)
Unorthodox (this is a fighter who uses non traditional weapons like clubs, axes, hammers.)

Non Combat Skills:
Blacksmith
Sword smith
Armor Smith
Weapon Smith
Leather Worker
Tailor
Architect
Hunter
Farmer
Wood Cutter
Merchant
Cook
Musician
Medical

These skills are skills im assuming to be in the game. These may change once we get official word on what the game has. But for now they will work for us. Id like to encourage you to choose skills that you intend on using in the actual Tatsumaki Game as well as here in our little RPG.

If theres a skill you want that i havent thought of non combat wise let me know and ill see if i can add it in.

So now I Choose for Jubei

Skills:
Kendo
Ninjitsu
Hunting

NOTE here im taking two combat skills cuz im the GM lol this is my one little vice as leader lol But note that in game if need be then I will be most likely using Architect to start. But don’t worry im not gonna be totally mean. So I will do this for my friends.

BONUS ABILITIES AND SKILLS CHANCE
When you start the game I will give you ONE chance to gain extra starting skills and abilities.
1st you get a chance to gain another starting Skill. For this i roll 1d10. If i rolled over 5 for you i will inform you of this and you get to choose one more skill.
When we have your sheet all finished I will Roll 1d10. If that roll is over 5 then I shall roll 1d3 to see how many additional abilities you will get.
So lets say I as a player got lucky and rolled an 8 on the 1d10 then I rolled a high 3 on the 1d3. So now we see how I got additional skills. This will give you all a chance to get some bonus skills as well. And don’t worry if your not lucky and don’t get em. Just means the better and more often you play the faster you will grow so you can get those extra skills and abilities.

Ok now as u can see your character is coming together nicely, Now we need to choose our moves. For our combat skills. The list of starting moves are as follows, They are very similar to start but as you grow and get new skills which ill be releasing in the near future as I work on the system depending on what you choose to add a lot of your fighting style will change. For example some characters will want to focus on speed attacks. Some will focus on heavy damage attacks, some on cost effective attacks. Some people will be more defensive some will want to be heavy on their meditation healing.

To start you get to choose 3 starting abilities. Don’t worry about the others you didn’t get. As you grow you can always buy them later and follow their tree.

NOTE The Cost here refers to the Action cost it takes to use these abilities. This cost is taken away from your stamina in the action cycle (tentative term im using) I will post a list of abilities and how much Fame points they cost in a later post.

Kendo, Ninjutsu, Unorthodox:
Side Swing: Cost 5: Damage: 1d3
Thrust: Cost 7: Damage: 1d4
Down Swing: Cost: 10 Damage: 1d6
Meditation: Cost: 15 Heal 1d4 Damage
Parry: Cost: 3 1d3 chance to parry
Dodge: Cost: 5 1d4 Change to Dodge
Block: Cost: 7 1d6 chance to block
Focus: Cost: 10 1d3 bonus to any action

Kempo
Punch: Cost 5: Damage: 1d3
Kick: Cost 7: Damage: 3
Drop Kick: Cost: 10 Damage: 5
Meditation : Cost: 15 Heal 1d4 Damage

Kyudo
Arrow Shot: Cost 5: Damage: 1d3
Arrow Quick Shot: Cost 7: Damage: 1d4
Arrow Long Shot: Cost: 10 Damage: 1d6
Meditation : Cost: 15 Heal 1d4 Damage

So for Jubei I am choosing
Abilities

But because im a GM and choose 2 combat abilities im gonna cheat and give myself an additional 3 abilities. But for all of you. Youll be stuck with the starting three. Don’t worry this is similar to how ill be doing the npcs as well. They generally will be stronger then me and you but we all have the ability to grow.

So for my additional 3 abilities im gonna choose.
Abilities

So now my abilities look like this

Abilities

For the additional Non Combat ability I choose for now I will just get a base bonus for anything I do in that particular skill.

So since I Choose Hunting. I will get a 1d6 bonus to my chances for hunting animals and harvesting their body parts and stuff related to hunting.

So now my
Abilities will look like this.
Abilities
Hunting Bonus: 1d6

Ok we are almost done. Now I would incorporate my Bio into the character Sheet. So it would look like this.

Profile: Black messy hair. Wears an eye patch over damaged Eye. Scruffy looking

Personality: Honorable, Prideful, Kind, Honest, Stubborn, Has a strong sense of justice and will do whatever he can to see the wrongs of the world made right. Jubei is friendly and does not look down on anyone just because of their station in life.

History:
Jubei as he is commonly called by his friends and family grew up in a small village in the nara prefecture of yamato called Yagyu Cho (Yagyu Village) His father Inaba-no- kami Shigenaga whos brother was the famous Mimasaka-no-kami Ieyoshi taught him strictly in the ways of the sword. Jubei learned fast and practiced more then anyone in the village. Soon he grew into his teens and left the village to begin training himself, to learn the strongest style of swordsmanship in the land, and then to perfect it even more. Now he travels the land but a new threat has emerged. The dreaded Hojo clan has been deploying the Fuma ninja into the far corners of japan spreading chaos and murder and discention. Hojo plans to spur on the chaos of the land and in that confusion and carnage sieze the rule of japan for himself.
Hojo has had this fuma ninja invade yagyu village. The village itself being very strong in the secret shinobi arts has managed to repel the attacks. But it is only a matter of time before Hojo takes the village and acquires the prize he so desperately covets.
The Yagyu Secret Tengu Scrolls.
Secret Scrolls passed down the the sire of the clan in ages past by a Mountain Tengu.
it is said if the scrolls ever are taken from the village the Tengu will return and wipe the Yagyu from the face of the earth.

Now the Yagyu clan has dispatched some of its family members and clansmen to search for Jubei and save Yagyu village from the clutches of Hojo.

So now I have my Character Sheet Finished. All that might remain is for me to add a Picture of him. Which I will do later.
So that is how we make our Character Sheet.

The last thing would be for me to approve it and roll for your bonus Abilities
Also i would make a special one time only roll to give you a personalized ability. (This is within reason and pending on my approval of course lol)

So for Jubei I roll 1d20.

I rolled a perfect 20. By rolling the 20 i am granted a personalized ability. If i had rolled a 19 i would also be eligible for the personalized ability. By rolling a perfect 20 i get to roll for a second personalized ability.

So Jubeis Personalized Ability is as follows.

Ryu Reading: Cost: 10 effect: 1d10 bonus to all defensive actions.

because i rolled a perfect 20 i again get one more chance to acquire a second personalized ability. So once i again if you got lucky on the first roll now i give u the chance to get REALLY lucky. So here i will roll for you another 1d20 This time i got a 19 (im really lucky lol)
So my second personalized ability will be as follows

Danger Sense: Your heightened senses will warn you when danger is near.
Basically this means myself or the gm in charge will describe to your that you sense danger though you don't know where it may be from.

NOTE Any personalized abilities we make may later be placed into our purchasable abilities list.

There will be ways to get personalized abilities as well later in the game for higher level players.

Finally we have our weapon proficiency.
So for this we choose a weapon. I wont list the weapons just choose your weapon and ill look it up if im not familiar with it.
The Chosen weapon will get a bonus when you use it.
NOTE If you choose the Daisho as your Proficiency or any duel wielding weapons, there will be penalties until you have grown enough to use them effectively.

So for Jubei I Choose katana

Weapon Proficiency: Katana
Bonus: All Combat actions cost -1 when Jubei is using his Katana.

NOTE
I originally was going to start this at a -3 bonus but am making it -1 to start. This will encourage players to build their Weapon Profesciency.

Last but not least our Inventory.
Note I will be assigning your characters starting inventory. if there's a particular item you want to start with feel free to ask. If its within reason i just may let you start with it.

NOTE Just as the Main Tatsumaki we are not allowing fire arms. So no Guns, no Cannons, no bombs ect.

So for Jubei's Inventory he starts with these.

Inventory:
Celebrated Katana (Mino Kaneuji) Damage 3d6
Wakazashi Damage 1d8
Shuriken Damage 1d4 (6 stars)
Tanto Damage 1d4
Climbing Claws. ( +5 bonus to climbing action while worn)
Rope ( +5 bonus to Climbing and tying actions)
Sword Guard Eye patch (+1 Hp to armor around eye)
Black Hakama and Shirt. (clothing armor bonus +1hp)
Basket Gasa Hat (+3 hp to head)
White Cloth
Black Blanket.
Bar of soap
Golden Crest of the Yagyu Clan (This small shield Mon shows Jubei's position as Lord of the Yagyu. It is worth 3000 Ryo though Jubei would never part with it as it has been handed down through the generations of his family.

500 ryo (Traveling Money)

A Small note on Jubeis inventory, this isnt what most of you will be starting out with. Most of this is due to Jubei being a Minor Daimyo.
His Sword the Mino Kaneuji is special as well. It is stronger then even the high quality swords which have a damage of 3d6. Average unsigned swords have a damage of 2d6. The really rusty ones 1d6

So what i will do for you guys cuz im a big fan of fairness is give everyone the chance to start with a high quality weapon. I shall roll 1d3 and that will determine your weapon quality.
1: Rusty old worn out weapon.
2: Unsigned but not poorly crafted weapon.
3: Celebrated signed weapon created by a well know smith.

Again Jubei's weapon would be considered a quality of 4. This would be an extremely rare and valuable weapon. For you guys if you want such a weapon who knows perhaps in the game you can loot one or find one.

And now we can see our end result.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Yagyu Muneyoshi Jubei Munetoshi Sekishusai (Muneyoshi Given) (Jubei Nickname)
Profession: Samurai. Wanderer, Minor Country Daimyo lord of the Yagyu Clan

Skills:
Kendo
Ninjitsu
Hunting

Abilities

Bonus: All Combat actions cost -1 when Jubei is using his Katana.

Personality: Honorable, Prideful, Kind, Honest, Stubborn, Has a strong sense of justice and will do whatever he can to see the wrongs of the world made right. Jubei is friendly and does not look down on anyone just because of their station in life.

History:
Jubei as he is commonly called by his friends and family grew up in a small village in the nara prefecture of yamato called Yagyu Cho (Yagyu Village) His father Inaba-no- kami Shigenaga whos brother was the famous Mimasaka-no-kami Ieyoshi taught him strictly in the ways of the sword. Jubei learned fast and practiced more then anyone in the village. Soon he grew into his teens and left the village to begin training himself, to learn the strongest style of swordsmanship in the land, and then to perfect it even more. Now he travels the land but a new threat has emerged. The dreaded Hojo clan has been deploying the Fuma ninja into the far corners of japan spreading chaos and murder and distention. Hojo plans to spur on the chaos of the land and in that confusion and carnage sieze the rule of japan for himself.
Hojo has had this fuma ninja invade yagyu village. The village itself being very strong in the secret shinobi arts has managed to repel the attacks. But it is only a matter of time before Hojo takes the village and acquires the prize he so desperately covets.
The Yagyu Secret Tengu Scrolls.
Secret Scrolls passed down the the sire of the clan in ages past by a Mountain Tengu.
it is said if the scrolls ever are taken from the village the Tengu will return and wipe the Yagyu from the face of the earth.

Now the Yagyu clan has dispatched some of its family members and clansmen to search for Jubei and save Yagyu village from the clutches of Hojo.

Inventory:
Equiped Items
Celebrated Katana (Mino Kaneuji) Damage 4d6
Wakazashi Damage 1d8
Sword Guard Eye patch (+1 Hp to armor around eye)

Expensive Medium Travel Pack (space 35)
Shuriken Damage 1d4 (6 stars) (sm) NOTE here SM means small. each small item is worth 1 point of space
Tanto Damage 1d4 (sm)
Climbing Claws. ( +5 bonus to climbing action while worn) (Sm)
Rope ( +5 bonus to Climbing and tying actions) (M) Medium items are worth 10)
White Cloth (sm)
Black Blanket. (sm)
Bar of soap (sm)
Golden Crest of the Yagyu Clan (This small shield Mon shows Jubei's position as Lord of the Yagyu. It is worth 3000 Ryo though Jubei would never part with it as it has been handed down through the generations of his family. (sm)

500 ryo (Traveling Money) NOTE Ryo are small but for every 100 Ryo u have that counts as 1 spae point so here Jubeis money takes up 5 spaces.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this system is simple and easy to learn. Im still writing alot of it. I just created the whole thing tonight (I havent slept but then i rarely do lol)

Our next lesson will be about how a character grows thru a chapter, and is awarded at the end of the chapter.
http://www.eoeforums.com/group.php?groupid=14
You can read the first chapter at this link. In my next Lesson Post i will walk you thru the chapter and show you how Jubei managed what he did and how the actual system works as well as what actions gave him awards and how he would be rewarded and level at the end of the Chapter.

Also if your wondering how does a character Level? Its very simple. A character levels one level at the end of the Chapter. So our player chapters may take some time to get thru. But if you have participated fully in that chapter you will level. If you simply post once or twice and a few sparse posts you wont be allowed to level for that chapter. It all depends on how active you are and how I and or my Gm or Gms perceive your participation. So basicly you wont autolevel at a chapter end just because you posted a few times. We will be looking for certain things but for now im not going to reveal them. Dont worry though. Play have fun be active and you Should level without any problems. Its really for procrastinators that post a few times then just drop dead or who hop on say they are practicing but then never do anything with the group in the storyline lol. I will be guiding the storyline so dont worry. Ill push those who need pushing and steer you all in the right directions.

So make some Character Sheets. Lets get active and get the next chapter going

UPDATE
Ok here is how the inventory space works.
Small Items =1
Medium Items = 5
Large items =10
Huge Items =25
Giant Items = 50

I will tell u what items are what just be sure to put the symbols next to your items.
Sm=small
M=medium
L=large
H=huge

Last edited by Yagyu; 03-05-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Ninjitsu Master

Zekeen is on a distinguished road

Name: Yagyu Katsuro
Profession: Peasant, Traveller, Secretly a swordsmith, Distant cousin to many members of the Yagyu.

Alignment: Selfish
Constitution: 17
Strength: 27
Luck: 3
Charisma: 5
Stamina: 15

Skills:
Kendo-Nodaichi (field sword/great katana)
Sword Smithing

Abilities
Sword Smithing: 1d6 bonus to all Sword Smith actions.
Initiative Strike: Cost: 15 Gain 1d4 to your speed (initiative action) when using this ability. Damage (unarmed) +2 wound if successful.

Weapon Proficiency: Nodachi (field sword/great katana)
Bonus: All Combat actions cost -1 when Katsuro is using his Nodachi.

Profile: Short cut, black scruffy hair. Worn face. Has marks of a blacksmiths (rough appearance from a few burn scars). Wears a long untied green coat and sugegasa (coned straw hat). Wears a bandana to keep sweat from eyes and armored guantlets from samurai armor to protect his hands in sword fights and in hand to hand. Stands at 6 feet tall due to his peasant bloodline of strong workers.

Personality: Prideless, Both honorable and honorless (will fight dirty against those who also fight dirty), Wise, Attentive, Humble. Yagyu Katsuro is a man of justice, but not action. He seems completely neutral and selfish until opportunity strikes, as does he. When he has the upper hand, he immediately springs into action. He is a simple soul who values fame in the world rather than his clan. He prefers to remain a simple soul among his relations, but travels Japan to gain experience and fame for his deeds and actions. He happens to be a bit uncharismatic due to his low status, but his strength and endurance can easily change someone's mind... if they dare to oppose him.

History:
Yagyu Katsuro was born into a peasant family of the Yagyu, however disease took his father before his birth and his mother died in labor. He was raised by the community and grew up helping with peasantry tasks of the village. While a peasant, his orphaned state permitted him to attempt other skills when he was of free time. He became interested in the work of local sword smiths and learned by watching and listening to the sword smiths. He was permitted use of their facilities and began to practice sword smithing until he eventually learned the trade. Accepted as both peasant and artisan, he stayed with humble roots, even though he was actually a distant linkable relative to many higher ranked Yagyu. And such, he was a lowly peasant and member of importance without reputation or responsibility withing the clan. Due to his hard work with peasant and smithing jobs, he grew into a powerful and tall man. As he had learned to take a trade without apprenticeship, his knack for learning also became substantial. After he reached adulthood, he took his trade away from the village, traveling to many outlying villages and establishments. He would occasionally fight off small bands of bandits or ronin, as he had a good amount of skill with a sword, being a sword smith and all. He generally wanders aimlessly, and sometimes would hear information that would benefit the clan and pass it. In time he became a resource to the clan for both stocking the clan with more swords, and providing news and information from abroad.

He has currently gone off traveling for long enough to have traded his goods and not restocked, leaving him with only enough funds to stay lazy away from the village before he must return to his job of arming the Yagyu.

Inventory:

Equipped and or worn Items:
Small Travel pack (space 10)
Nodachi (5ft) Carried on back. -5 to speed. Damage 3d6. Worth 750 Ryo (H)
Sugegasa hat: +2 armor to head. (L)
Pale Green Hakama, dark grey shirt dark grey trousers (+1 armor covering body) (L)
Black Bandana: +1 armor to head. (Sm)
Leather Black smith Gloves: +1 to sword smithing (M)

Travel Pack Inventory:
Blacksmith Hammer: Damage 1d4 (1d3 bonus to Sword Smithing) (M)
Polishing Rag (Sm)
Small Clan Seal: It is black and made of wood and has the Yagyu Clan crest on it. Its worthless to anyone outside the clan. (Sm)
183 Ryo (Sm x 2)

(for possible future item)
The attached image is an alternate costume of Takeda from Samurai Warriors with the eyes blacked out, the oni mask is close to this but not parted hair, no horns, and straighter fangs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onimask.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	852  

Last edited by Zekeen; 02-24-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:58 AM

Ok good work Zekeen i will post changes to your character sheet. here and explain my discussions on your character as well.

First there is no Nuetral good.
So you need to choose between the 3 given alignments. This is because in reality there is no neutral. people always have to make a choice. If they just don't take part they could be considered selfish. So that may be the alignment you want or you could do well with Chaotic Good.

Now on to your attributes.You need a minimum of 3 points in each attribute. So precision cant be 0. This means that you will have the ability to throw things. With a 0 you would throw like a decrepit sickly 80 year old man. So adjust your points accordingly which shouldn't be too hard here. its cool i know allot of people will most likely make the same mistake hence why im highlighting it red and will reedit the tutorial so its in red

Now for your Weapon skill since you want to use the Nodachi unorthodox would be the wrong skill. The Nodachi was a sword. A rather unorthodox sword in its own right but we are still considering it a sword.
So you would want the Kendo Skill instead.

The Sword Smithing Bonus for now just write it this way
Sword Smith: 1d6 bonus to all Sword Smith actions.

Ok im now going to roll to see if youll get any Bonus Skills.
(Im so happy to use my spiffy pretty dice lol)
I will be rolling a 1d10 theres a 50/50 chance for you to get the Bonus.
here we go...

Ok im sorry to say the result was a 2.

But don't feel bad. There's still plenty of chances for you to get the skills you want thru outstanding roll play. Just consider this to mean your early training was very difficult and you've had a rough life..

But wait we get to see if you can get any Bonus abilities. So for this im gonna roll another 1d10.
Lets hold our breath and hope for a better roll then last time.
I am rooting for ya man lol
HEY congrats
the result is a 9.
you now will get to choose at least one extra ability. Again since your using a Nodachi choose from the kendo Tree.

So lets see how many extra starting abilities you will get.
I roll 1d3 for this.
The result is a 1.
But hey still you get to choose an extra starting ability so that's not too shabby.

So choose an extra starting ability in the kendo tree and add it to your character sheet.
The abilities you have chosen work for the starting of the Kendo class.
Again youd want to make Kendo your Combat Skill due to the fact your using a sword im only emphasizing this to anyone who else who is reading how we are adjusting your character.

So my friend now we shall give your your big ONE TIME ONLY CHANCE roll to see about your proposed and much desired personal abilities.
First lets roll to see if you actually get them.
again im rooting for you. Its a 2/20 chance so its not easy. But here goes.
I am now rollong a 1d20.
WOW
DUDE lol
You are one lucky dog. The result is a 19.
Not enough to grant you the second bonus chance but you will now get a personalized ability.
Nicely done. (even though this is all chance of the die lol)

Now lets discuss the first personalized ability you choose.
Since this was your number one if i approve it then it would be the one you get.
So from what im reading on your description its basically a punch before you draw your sword am i correct?

Or are you saying you want to be able to do a quick draw with your nodachi here which wouldn't be too practical as the Nodachi was so long and not ideal for batoujutsu (quickdraw) attacks.

This we can discuss further in Pm. So i can get a better understanding of what you want to do with this ability and see if i approve of it and if not how we can adjust it.

For personalized abilities i may or may not make them public, it would prolly depend on how personalized the ability is. For instance Jubeis danger sense isnt very personalized. Its something other great warriors just may personally have. However Ryu Reading is something very Unique to jubei and as such few if any others would be able to get that skill.
back on the subject of your alignment id say Selfish seems to best fit from what im reading here. Though just cuz someone is selfish doesnt make them evil or a criminal it just means they are looking out for numero uno.
For example
YOJIMBO
one of akira kurasawas greatest movies and toshiro mifunes best roles.
Yojimbo (he had several names thru the movies the most common was mulberry flower if i remember correctly)
Yojimbo was a selfish character. However he wasnt an evil person or even a criminal. Though he wasnt above working with the criminals to help the village out and at the same time make himself a nice profit.

So i think the selfish alignment would fit best here.

Ok now lets move to your inventory,
The items i am approving shall be listed below. so adjust your inventory accordingly.

Nodachi (5ft) Carried on back. While sheathed you have a -5 penalty to your speed. This weapon does Damage 3d6 and is worth 750 Ryo

Some of this im using from the rifts system. The high damage ratio of this weapon is a good incentive despite the slow weapon drawing. The other things you mentioned on it are not necessary at the moment if i find they become necessary well adjust the sword accordingly. I wanna keep this system as simple as i can.

Sugegasa hat: +2 armor to head.

Pale Green Hakama, dark grey shirt dark grey trousers (+1 armor covering body)

Black Bandana: +1 armor to head.

Blacksmith Hammer: Damage 1d4 (1d3 bonus to Sword Smithing)

Leather Black smith Gloves: +1 to sword smithing (i am giving you the gloves here rather then the samurai gauntlets to start. If you want the gauntlets im gonna make you buy em lol. But your getting some nice bonuses to your Sword Smith Skills. with these gloves and the hammer.

Polishing Rag

Now im gonna roll 2d10 (one die counts by 1-10 one counts by 10-100) to see how much Starting money you have.

You have 183 Ryo to start.

Just for anyone reading how i determined this i rolled the two die as stated.
which was 91.

Then i rolled a 1d10to see if he got a bonus chance to start with more money.
Pending he rolled greater then 5.

He rolled a 6.
So i once again rolled the 2d10
this time he rolled a 92 (you get good rolls man lol)
I then rolled the 1d10 once more
the result this time was a 2 so that ended his bonus chances.

I added the totals together and we get 182 Ryo.

The last thing i will give you in your inventory is a small Clan seal.
it is black and made of wood and has the Yagyu Clan crest on it.
Its worthless to anyone outside the clan. But inside the clan it proves your membership to any family members you shall encounter.

And note that you will encounter family members. Well have to come up with a good way to get you into the story and into the quest to find Jubei. I have an interesting idea how to do this.

Instead of your hearing about the search for Jubei change that.
I wanna start you off outside of the village, perhaps working a swordsmith job somewhere. Our players who will be escaping the village shall first either come across you accidentally or intentionally track you down first because of your skills. They will of course have to work hard to convince you to join perhaps thru pms to me you can let me know what will be the thing that would make you break your normal neutrality and join the quest.
I wont tell the other members but may use small narrative tools to give them subtle slight hints to push them in that direction if none of them are figuring it out.

So adjust your character sheet.

Send me a Pm letting me know more about how you intend to have your personal ability work and to discuss your characters motives for joining the group and how he would be persuaded so i know as well as you what to look for.

Other then that very good job.

You are our first official Yagyu RPG player. I will work on drawing and painting your character and have it ready to go before we begin our official first player played chapter.

Oh you must have just added the Oni Mask in an edit while i was typing all this out.
For now we wont have you start with it but ill work out a way to give you a chance to acquire it later much like the Samurai Gauntlets though it may be a little harder then simply going to an armor smith and buying one.
The Oni mast would be a rare item and as such would have awesome bonuses that come with it.
So im gonna make ya work for it lol.

Oh and to Svage my friend once i have the clan up and running the roll play smoothly and see good opportunity's for the opening of the rp to our allies with which the Ryubara clan are officially one of our allies i shall let you know. It may be some time but you can always enjoy the story of our clan in the mean time.

The other option is if the Ryubara Clan would like to become retainers of the Yagyu clan then i could open the RP up to you right away.
As a retainer clan youd still have your clan and do things as you normally would but it would mean our clans are forever linked. As such wed get to share in hunts, guild events, ect. So in a way it would be like the two clans joining together.
If you want to just remain allies thats perfectly fine as well.
The retainer title doesnt mean your in servitude to us, it would just mean our clans linked together. The retainer thing could be mentioned for Rp purposes but that would be it Youd still the be leader of your clan and me of mine. But the other bonus to this would be mutual goals and discussions between you and myself.
As a retainer clan leader id look at you as my brother and discuss decisions that would affect both clans with you and visa versa.

I think it could be a cool thing. If you have questions wanna think about it and discuss it feel free to pm me. But i wanted to throw the offer out to ya.

Last edited by Yagyu; 02-24-2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-25-2009, 05:35 PM

Yagyu Akane is on a distinguished road

Name : Yagyu Akane
Profession : Samurai ( Jubei's little sister )*
Level : 1 for now*
Fame : 0*
Alignment : Good*

Constitution : 15
Strength : 8
Precision : 3
Stamina : 8*
Agility : 20*
Luck : 6
Intelligence : 10
Charisma : 15
Speed : 15

Attack : 10

Combat Skills

Non Combat Skills

Skills

Profile : Akane is a attractive young women who almost always wares her hair in a pony tail . she has a quite confidence about her and her eyes don't seem to miss much that goes on around her .*

Personality : Honest and loyal Akane shows fierce determination in everything she does .*

History :*
Akane has always looked up to her big brother Jubei with almost hero worship . As a child she wanted to be like him so she practiced the sword and no sword at every opportunity . Called a tomboy by some she always felt that learning the sword was a birth right of one born of the Yagyu . Akane has also spent many hours by her fathers side as he has conducted the business of the Yagyu here she has learned to listen to what was said and not said and has help to make her very observant .
Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 AM
Ninjitsu Master

Since we got so many lazies not posted a character, and I wanna speed things up, even by a moment, here's a BLANK character sheet so you won't have to type it all or copy each bit yourself or copy and delete info and re-write your own.

I wanna get this underway, so let's get more people!
Also, since I at least know a bit of what Yagyu wants, if anyone wants help or to ask for ideas, PM me or if you have aol messenger, my name is Zekeen there too.

Name:
Profession:

Alignment:
Constitution:
Strength:
Precision:
Speed:
Agility:
Luck:
Intelligence:
Charisma:
Stamina:

Skills:

Abilities

Weapon Proficiency:

Profile:

Personality:

History:

Inventory:

Equipped and or worn Items:
Small Travel pack (space 10)

Travel Pack Inventory:
Old 02-26-2009, 05:48 PM

cool nice work zekeen i didnt even think of that lol. Been so overwhelmed with stuff lol. But good call. I like to see members being helpful and taking initiative

Also akane it says u posted on this thread but for some reason i dont see it could u either try reposting or pm me im guessing u did the character sheet (also hoping ) lol or if someone else can see what she posted just pm it to me i dunno why i cant see it lol.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Ninjitsu Master

well at least I'm not the only one who can't see it, was creeping me out.

The forums have been buggy recently. Not too long ago the quick links didn't drop down and instead did a bit of wierd stuff.

........people REALLY need to hurry and make character sheets before I turn into an Akuma and start eating faces...... I really want to get this thing started lol!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:44 PM

lol well encourage ppl i know whitehawk is away on vacation, hopeffully hell be back soon. Im guessing akane made a sheet and we just cant see it yet if thats the case, Akane just pm it to me or post it in the yagyu clan social group section so i can roll it. Im not sure where the other members are. Hopefully everyone is ok. Real Life can be a drag some times and it tends to hit hard. So for any members dealing with real life stuff we wish them the best and hope for their speedy return to the forums.

In Game playing, Leveling, Fame point awards and more.
Lesson 2

Ok in today’s lesson we shall learn all about how your character plays out his actions, fights an npc. Gets Fame Points and earns his leveling up after the chapter is done.

I will be using a portion of the first chapter on the official Yagyu Roll Play area to demonstrate how these things work.

I shall be showing the GM parts in Green
And the player parts in Blue

Yagyu Muneyoshi Jubei Munetoshi Sekishusai walked along a large dirt path through a dark green forest. He felt a chill run through him and paused. Looking around to see if he could sense any danger he lowered his hand to rest upon the hilt of his sheathed Katana.

Ok so here Ill play two rolls one as a player and the other as the GM

So here the GM explains what the setting is.
Here also Jubei is using his Danger Sense, which the GM automatically knows and is incorporating into the opening.
The GM gives Jubei a Chance to roll to see how much he can gleam from the Danger he senses.
For now lets just say Jubei Failed this roll.
This is now indicated by the players reaction.

But there was nothing awry here. Strange he thought. Perhaps his senses were getting rusty. He lowered his hand and continued walking. Then he thought of his home village. Koyagyu also called Yagyu Village or Yagyu Cho. He had grown up there, and now that he had entered his twenties, now that he was a man he desired nothing more then to become the worlds greatest sword Master.

It was a high aspiration but Jubei's ambition was even higher.

Here we see the player reacting to the danger sense. However he is unsure of what it is. He would naturally be alert and on guard at this point. But because he failed his roll he doesn’t know what kind of danger may be about.

After walking for a few more miles and musing on his past life in his home village Jubei finally came to a small Tea stand on the side of the road. He kicked the dust from his feet and entered the small hut.

The GM guides the player to our location where the action will take place.

" Hello? " he called, but there was no reply.

" I am thirsty, is anyone here? " He called again.

The player reacts to the Gm guiding him staying in character and earning himself points.

After a few moments he heard a rustling from the back room. He began to approach the room but before he reached it a man appeared, with a smile so wide it almost seemed inhuman.

" Ah hello good sir. How may i help you?" the smiling man asked with a high pitched voice.

Now an Npc has entered our scenario. The gm has explained it and presented a question to our character.

Jubei felt a chill go through him, similar to the one he had experienced not long ago in the forest. Was he really that green that he even felt danger here in a country hicks Tea stand with a man so happy he seemed he was about to burst?

" I am thirsty, please bring me some tea and a small rice ball. "

This would be the players response. How does he know he felt a chill? Either the gm would have indicated that In the previous post OR would have told him that in the OOC section.
NOTE
It is always good and encouraged to ask your questions and fish for info in the OOC section. We want to keep the Main RPG area strictly readable like a novel.

" AH yes, Small Tea, Rice Ball. Yes good sir i can do that. "

The smiling man went into the back and began opening cabinets.

Here either in the OOC or thru a Pm the Gm would give the character his chance to roll for his Luck to see if he would notice that this was odd.
So here Jubei gets to roll 1d6 + 10 for his base Luck skill. We are using luck here since this is a Non Combat action. The GM is rolling a 1d20. Jubei has a potential 16/20 chance to beat the roll.
Now I actually rolled this so these are the true to life numbers.
The GM here rolled a 14 on his 1d20.
Jubei rolled a 5 on his 1d6. Adding the +10 for his Base Luck Skill Jubei has now beat the GM’s roll and as such notices something he may not have otherwise.

Odd thought Jubei, why would the man be opening so many cabinets just to bring him some Tea and a rice ball. After about five minutes the man returned with the Tea and a rice ball.

" Ah here you are good sir. Tea and Rice ball. Just like a lord like you would like. "

NOTE
Because of Jubei’s successful action here the GM would mark 1 point to award him at the end of the chapter.

Jubei felt the hairs on his neck stand on end.

" What makes you think I am a Lord? "

The smiling mans smile didn't break. though his voice betrayed his uncomfortable state.

" Oh my I had just assumed sir. We dont get many Samurai so, any we see we imagine they are Lords."

The mans smile widened, it seemed impossible and Jubei then imagined the mans face resembled a Hanya mask.

The man bowed turned and went back into the small hut. Jubei still felt uneasy. Why were his senses telling him of danger. Should he trust them or was he imagining it

Now the Gm is giving the Player a chance to avoid drinking the obvious to you and me poison in his cup.
Again in the OOC or thru PM the GM informs the player of his Danger sense.
In order to discover the actual danger Jubei again makes the action roll.
Jubei Rolls 1d6 +10
GM rolls 1d20
Uh Oh Jubei only rolled a 2 this time (again these are actual rolls im doing lol)
But he is very lucky because the GM rolled a 4 on his 1d20.
12 easily beats 4
Jubei now is aware the cup could be poison. To Hammer Home the point the GM explains the following.

He lifted the tea to his mouth and just as his bottom lip touched the cup it struck him.

He didn't hear any animals. Not a sound. Not even any wind. Jubei's own senses might have been false but the forest wouldn't lie to him. he had learned that hunting wolves in the Kusagi mountains which surrounded Yagyu Valley.

Now the Gm is going to give Jubei a chance to further investigate and deduce the danger he is in.
So informing the player to make another Luck roll.
Jubei rolls a 3 on his 1d6.
The Gm has Rolled a 13. Again Jubei has scraped by and now learns more about his situation.

Pretending to drink from the cup Jubei squinted his eyes and focused on the Hut. He noticed in the dirt foot prints. Many of them but most of them were not the proper shape or size as the smiling man. In fact the weight distribution was all wrong as well. Whoever those foot prints belonged too was much lighter and possibly older then the smiling man. Jubei then noticed something else. A cane was lying on the floor inside the hut which he could see through the open door. He looked again at the dirt and sure enough everywhere there were foot prints there was cane prints. The smiling man surely didn't need a cane. In fact the only tracks that fit the smiling mans profile were the ones that followed him out and brought him the Tea and rice ball.

Again how does the player know he sees the foot prints. Cuz he was informed by the GM. So far Jubei has had 3 successful rolls so hes accumulated 3 Fame points. The GM will be keeping track of these. And as a bonus the Gm is already writing down that he is awarding Jubei another point for playing in character and another point still for incorporating the information so well into the storyline as the above paragraph illustrates,
This means jubei will already be receiving 5 fame points at the end of the chapter.

Jubei placed the cup down and lowered his hand to grip his sword. Something here was terribly wrong. After a few minutes the Smiling man came rushing out.

" Oh good sir, more tea? More rice ball? "

Now the Gm is going to have Jubei do another Luck roll to notice more. Don’t worry in the game there wont be need usually for this type of thing. But in this situation it calls for it as you’ve already seen from our story.
Jubei rolls his 1d6+10
He rolled a 5 the GM has rolled a 6
Once again Jubei is successful In his roll. And another point,
NOTE: The Gm will not always use a 1d20. It all depends on the situation and how hard the GM wishes to make it. He may opt to roll a 1d100 and make the chances very hard, though this is usually for much higher level characters. Or he may choose to make the situation very easy and roll a 1d6.

Jubei looked at the mans clothing. It was not a local fashion. In fact Jubei knew it to be from Izu'. Could this man be a Shinobi sent by the Hojo clan he wondered.

" No thank you. Tell me. Do you live here alone? "

Now the player is playing smart and asking questions in character in game.
As a Gm I would award them yet another Fame point bringing us to 7.

The smiling man stood perfectly still. His smile impossibly growing even wider.

" Yes yes. Just me. I make the rice balls and the tea. If that is not enough i can make you beef stew as well good sir."

" No this will be fine thank you. "

Jubei knew something was definitely wrong now. No old traveler would have left his cane here. Even if he had he wouldn't have gotten very far. Whoever this man was he was NOT the owner of this Tea stand.

Again here the player has incorporated the knowledge he has learned from the GM into his character post. This again may give the GM reason to award another point. In this case he does bringing Jubei’s tally to 8 fame points.

Now its time for some action thinks the GM. So he again thru either Pm or OOC gives jubei a warning thanx to jubeis danger sense. This time however Jubei wont be rolling a Luck roll. He will be rolling for speed.
Here he will be rolling against Kotaros speed.
Jubei has a base speed of 10
Kotaro has a base speed of 15
This will be a hard roll for Jubei to make.
But heres a little trick you players should keep in mind.

NOTE IMPORTANT NOTE
You get another little bonus. I will give players free die to add to certain actions.
They may use the following only once per chapter.
1d3
1d4
1d6
1d8
1d10

The player can use one of these die to enhance his roll. But note once he uses one of these die that die is now used and gone for this chapter.
So in this case

Jubeis rolls his normal roll of 1d6 and adds the +10 speed.
The Non enhanced result is 15
Kotaro rolls his 1d6 the result was a 6 bringing himself to a deadly 21(again these are actual rolls I did)
Jubei will have to use one of his enhancements if he wishes to get the first action here.
Jubei has chosen to go big and safe and use the 1d8 But he only rolls a 4.
He has failed to get the first action.
And has lost his 1d8 bonus.
From his failed action he has also lost a Fame point dropping him down to 7. Keep in mind the total points awarded to a player is all dependant on the GM decision. If you feel your not getting points you should you may respectfully ask the GM and show him where you feel you got slighted. But also remember failed actions and not playing in character or making stupid decisions can have negative effects on your total Fame Points.

Suddenly Jubei's senses blazed to life, and without warning the smiling mans hands seemed to shoot out small metallic projectiles.

Fuma has taken his well earned first action and has thrown Shuriken at Jubei.
This now means we have entered our Action Cycle.

Now Jubei gets a defensive action. His chance to dodge the shuriken.
So Jubei now gets to use his first combat ability.
He chooses Dodge which cost him 5 of his action points. Jubei has 20 Stamina which is also his Action points so he now has 15 remaining points for this Action cycle.
Using dodge gives him a 1d4 advantage to his dodge attempt.
He has a base agility of 10 so he now rolls 1d4 + 1d6.
Jubei has rolled total of 6, 3 on each die. Giving him a total of 16
Kotaro is rolling his base attack of 12. He rolls his 1d6 and gets a 5.
Giving him 17. 1 point over Jubei.
Jubei has decided to use one of his enhancement die but since he only needs 2 points to beat the roll chooses to use his 1d4
He rolls the 1d4 and gets a 2. Giving him just enough to successfully make his dodge.
Earning another point for a successful action bringing him back up to 8.

The player then posts his successful action in a creative and clever way.
NOTE If the GM chooses he may ask you to reedit your post to make it flow better. At first we wont penalize you for this but after awhile you should get the hang of it. If you still haven’t after a few weeks we may begin deducting fame points from you.

Jubei threw his body back letting the chair fall to the ground as what he expected were shuriken flew over him just missing his head.

Now Jubei and Kotaro will roll for the first action again. Though the Action cycle has not restarted yet. We are still in the same action cycle.

Jubei with his base of 10 rolls 1d6 and gets a natural 6 giving him 16.
Kotaro has a base of 15 and rolls his 1d6 but only rolls a 1.
The Gm now has both Kotaro each roll a 1d6 tie breaker roll.
Jubei rolls 3
Kotaro rolls 2
Jubei has won the roll and gets to make an attack.
He also gets another fame point bringing him now to 9.
Jubei chooses to use another ability.
He chooses side swing. Which cost 5 action to use but because he is using his Katana he gets a -1 bonus to the action cost, and gives him a 1d3 advantage.
He rolls a 4 on the d6 and a 2 on the d3 giving him a total of 6 + an automatic 10.

The automatic 10 here is standard on all attacks made. So Jubei has an attack of 16.
Kotaro rolls his block but fails the roll by 1 point.
Now Jubei gets to roll damage
Jubei has a base str of 10 so he rolls 1d6 and gets a 1 giving him a total of 11.
The Gm has decided here however that because jubei rolled so low on his damage and because Kotaro almost made the dodge that Kotaro will get away unscathed. But not his Shinobigama which we will now see is cut in half.

He rolled back and sprang to his feet only to see the smiling man now armed with a Shinobigama racing toward him. Jubei's reflexes kicked in and he drew his blade in a Battoujitsu style technique cutting the Shinobigama in half.

The man sprang back about five feet away from Jubei.

" Who are you, Why do you try to kill me? " Jubei demanded taking a defensive stance.

Here we see a few short but well worded posts between the player and the GM.
Again cuz Jubei did so well here with his post describing the actions the Gm awards him another Fame point in his little GM book. Giving our hero a total of 10.
Though because of the closeness of Jubeis and Kotaros rolls he has decided not to award Jubei a point despite his successful action.

" I must give you credit young Master Yagyu. Few would not have detected the poison in your Tea and Rice ball. Fewer still would have been able to avoid my direct attacks. Perhaps it is true that the Yagyu hold the secrets of a mountain Tengu. "

We see now the Gm switching back into some dialogue to keep the story interesting.
And our player responds in kind.

Jubei felt his heart stop. Not only did this man nearly kill him. But he somehow knew the Yagyu Clans deepest secrets.

" Who are you? " Jubei yelled out, feeling his temper rise.

The player is here again playing very well in character but the Gm is not going to add a point here. The GM doesn’t need to add a point for every well written post. But its nice when we do 

The smiling man pulled a Kodachi from behind his back and also took a stance.

" I am called the Lord of Chaos. The God of Monsters. I am the dark eyes in night and the thing children fear when they sleep in their beds."

" You are Fuma Kotaro? But that cant be, he is just a legend told to scare children into obeying their parents. "

Once again the GM decided its time for some action and so he has The two roll for their speed. Gonna abridge it here to move us along.
Kotaro wins the roll and gets the action.
Kotaro uses Thrust
Jubei rolled to block. He is close but not successful
Kotaro rolls his damage now. He has a base str of 13
The Kodachi had a damage of 2d6
The side swing ability has an added damage of 1d3
The total roll is 17.
A pretty serious wound considering Jubei only has 20 Constitution.
Failing to successfully block also drops jubeis Fame points down to 9 again.

So now it plays out this way in posts.

The smiling man sprang forth, the Kodachi clashing into Jubei's Katana, then Jubei felt a sting, he used his strength to force the smiling man back. HE held his ground but felt something wet where he had suffered the sting.
The Kodachi had hit its target. The side of Jubeis arm now covered in spurting blood felt limp and heavy.

" Oh don't worry Young Yagyu. The poison on this Kodachi wont kill you. But your sword arm will now be useless. "

Kotaros Kodachi had a special poison effect that temporarily paralyzes the affects area.

Jubei is in a tight fix now but the player responds in character.

Jubei let his arm drop to his side gripping his Katana with his left hand now and pointing towards his opponent.

" If I am going to hell I shall take you with me. "

For his quick thinking and well said response the GM gives Jubei another Bonus point.
Bringing him back to 10.
Yes its complicated being a GM lol Lots of math.

Now the GM wants to keep the action moving.
Jubei and Kotaro roll for the action
Kotaro gets the first action and makes a devastating attack
Jubei however chooses to use one of his abilities.
Ryu Reading.
This uses the remaining 10 of his stamina action points.
But this ability grants him a +10 to all defensive actions.
On top of that Jubei rolls a natural 6 on his 1d6.
This outstanding defense has not only earned Jubei his 11th fame point.
But he gets a free attack from the Gm.
However Fuma also rolled very high and it was a very very close battle.
So Fuma here also gets GM favor.
Jubei Rolls his damage.
The Gm would normally roll for the damage from Kotaro but he has decided instead since the player is so close to dying to leave the character with a permanent scar.
The scene now plays out this way in posts.

The smiling man lunged forth again, only this time Jubei could read the speed and attack. He had a gift when it came to martial arts. He was able to read an opponents style simply by seeing them do it once. This made Jubei more prone to surprise attacks but when it came to an opponent he'd seen in action he was almost unbeatable. Jubei sidestepped to the left and in the blink of an eye slashed at the opponents head.

His blade found its mark.

But so did the Smiling mans blade.

Jubei stumbled back using his left wrist to cover his now bleeding face. The smiling man almost mirroring Jubeis movements. Jubei wiped the blood from his face just enough to see and again took a stance.

The smiling mans smiling face fell to the ground. Jubei could see the skin and teeth and even eyes all staring upwards smiling and covered in blood.

However the face was no longer attached to its owner. Jubei focused and could now see it was some kind of Human skin mask. He looked up and saw his wiping the blood him his face. A face that would come to haunt Jubei for the rest of his dreaming nights.

To try and describe the demons face would be a sin in itself. Suffice to say no one who had seen this grotesque creature would be able to describe this horror with any kind of words. In fact lesser men would go mad at the site of it. It was a face that should not belong to anything even remotely human or of this world. And now with a scar running along the center up and to the right, and covered in blackish blood, it looked even more hellish.

Here we see the Gm playing largely on the narrative. The player playing perfectly along with the narrative and in character. The Gm is please noting another point for the player.
Jubei now is at 12 fame points.

" What kind of Demon are you? " Jubei cried out for the first time in his life feeling his chest tighten with what he could only assume was fear.

The thing standing before him stood still lowering its arms to its sides and then to make things even more terrifying, to bring this horror even more complete it smiled showing its dark sharp almost fanged teeth.

" Did I not tell you boy. I am something far beyond your mortal comprehension. And mark my words Young Yagyu. For this wound you have caused me, I shall destroy everything and everyone you have ever and will ever love. Then once i have done so I will come for you. "

With that black smoke erupted from under Kotaro's feet. A thick dark black cloud enveloped the air in a ten to fifteen foot radius around the demon. Then when the smoke cleared, he was gone.

Jubei looked around his heart racing, still expecting the beast to emerge from a shadow and rip his heart from his chest. But the breeze had begun blowing again and the forest began to sing with life.

Both Kotaro and Jubei had marked each other. Jubei knew that when two men marked one another with scars. when they drew each other blood. They would be destined to do so again. This feud would never end until one of them was dead.

Fuma Kotaro was gone.

Our action cycle is now over with the defeat or retreat of the npc. For longer battles the Gm may decide on a set Action Cycle. Perhaps a total number of Speed rolls like after every 5 or 10 speed rolls that characters action cycle resets.

So with our action cycle resetting Jubeis Stamina is once again at full. After all Kotaro is gone and Jubei can take a breather and recover his strength.

Now that the danger and action have passed the player can take some healing actions.

Jubei knelt to the ground and pulled his travel pack close to him with his good arm. He dug through it and found an extra sword guard. Then he rummaged through the pack until he found some string. He pulled a piece of cloth he usually used for cleaning blood from his blade and wiped the blood from his face. Then set it against his now missing eye. He thread the string through the sword guard and affixed it to his eye tying the string behind the back of his head with his good arm. Standing tall and looking into the wind, his appearance now and forever changed by his encounter with the Oni Fuma Kotaro.

In this example the player reacts to his wound in a realistic setting and is very clever about it. So much so the that the Gm is so impressed with his actions here he jots down an extra 5 points. (You see what GOOD roll playing can get ya.)

Jubei might also here use meditation to heal some of his damage. (First he would check with the GM to see if he can sometimes u can sometimes u cant it all depends on what the GM says for that particular time)

He could feel his wounded arm slowly getting better and could move it a little more now. Packing his sack up and slinging it over his shoulder he entered the hut and walked to the back room where he found the elderly owner lying on the ground.

His throat cut neatly open with a pool of blood spread out beneath him dripping slowly down from his chest and neck.

" I am sorry for this my friend. It it wasn't for me you would not have become a target for the god of monsters. The lest I can do for you is give you a proper burial. Then I promise you, you and many others shall be avenged. I shall be the one to kill Fuma Kotaro. "

His arm now working again Jubei wrapped the man in a blanket and carried him to the back off the hut and lying him down on the ground, pulled a shovel from the mans tool chest and began digging.

" Whether you are born a Samurai, a Shinobi, a Noble or a Peasant. We are all men. We all eat, we all crap, we all breath, we all die. A mans life amounts to thirty or forty years, seventy or eighty with special mightiness. You my friend must have been a mighty man indeed. I am sorry i did not get the chance to know you. "

After an hour of digging Jubei placed the body into the hole and covered it with dirt. He had found a good sized stone and using roped had dragged it to the fresh grave. Pulling a chisel from his pack and a small hammer he carved the mans name which he learned from a letter the man had in his room.

The inscription read this way
Tokei Sandai
A man of Mighty stature.
So Mighty was he that it took the god of monsters to kill him.

Jubei bowed before the grave and after packing as many dry leaves and grass as he could find into the hut he lit a fire.

As he walked away from the burning structure he turned one more time and bowed.

Fuma Kotaro would indeed pay for this. He touched his eye patch remembering his own personal loss. Kotaro would pay for this as well Jubei thought to himself bitterly as he headed away from the now blazing inferno.

Jubei's resolve was now even stronger. he would perfect his swordsmanship and kill the god of monsters.

This would become his life's journey...

Here we see the player did indeed make a long closing post, but it was perfect and right in line with the story again earning him extra fame points.

Heres an example if the player was a little more sparse and the GM had to direct him thru posts.

I am sorry for this my friend. It it wasn't for me you would not have become a target for the god of monsters. The lest I can do for you is give you a proper burial. Then I promise you, you and many others shall be avenged. I shall be the one to kill Fuma Kotaro. "

His arm now working again Jubei wrapped the man in a blanket and carried him to the back off the hut and lying him down on the ground, pulled a shovel from the mans tool chest and began digging.

" Whether you are born a Samurai, a Shinobi, a Noble or a Peasant. We are all men. We all eat, we all crap, we all breath, we all die. A mans life amounts to thirty or forty years, seventy or eighty with special mightiness. You my friend must have been a mighty man indeed. I am sorry i did not get the chance to know you. "

After an hour of digging Jubei placed the body into the hole and covered it with dirt. He had found a good sized stone and using roped had dragged it to the fresh grave. Pulling a chisel from his pack and a small hammer he carved the mans name which he learned from a letter the man had in his room.

The inscription read this way
Tokei Sandai
A man of Mighty stature.
So Mighty was he that it took the god of monsters to kill him.

Jubei bowed before the grave and after packing as many dry leaves and grass as he could find into the hut he lit a fire.

As he walked away from the burning structure he turned one more time and bowed.

Fuma Kotaro would indeed pay for this. He touched his eye patch remembering his own personal loss. Kotaro would pay for this as well Jubei thought to himself bitterly as he headed away from the now blazing inferno.

Jubei's resolve was now even stronger. he would perfect his swordsmanship and kill the god of monsters.

This would become his life's journey...

Chapter END

Here we see the player still played well in smaller posts. But the Gm had to direct the story a little more then he needed. These things the player could have naturally done.
In this instance he might receive less points.
The other example would be an extreme where the player tends to wanna direct themselves TOO much. This would be frowned upon.

So Now the chapter has ended. Now our heroes level up and get to claim their rewards.
So to illustrate this here is Jubei’s character sheet at the start of the chapter.

Name: Yagyu Muneyoshi Jubei Munetoshi Sekishusai (Muneyoshi Given) (Jubei Nickname)

Skills:
Kendo
Ninjitsu
Hunting

Abilities

Bonus: All Combat actions cost -3 when Jubei is using his Katana.

Personality: / (we don’t need to repeat this for this post.)

History: / (we don’t need to repeat this for this post.)

Inventory:
Celebrated Katana (Mino Kaneuji) Damage 4d6
Wakazashi Damage 1d8
Shuriken Damage 1d4 (6 stars)
Tanto Damage 1d4
Climbing Claws. ( +5 bonus to climbing action while worn)
Rope ( +5 bonus to Climbing and tying actions)
Sword Guard
String
White Cloth
Black Blanket.
Bar of soap
Golden Crest of the Yagyu Clan (This small shield Mon shows Jubei's position as Lord of the Yagyu. It is worth 3000 Ryo though Jubei would never part with it as it has been handed down through the generations of his family.

500 ryo (Traveling Money)

Ok now The Gm and player would communicate in the OOC. The GM would explain how he chose to award the players, he might compliment them on their strengths and point out posts and actions they made that he was impressed with. He may also offer advice and point out some things they may want to work on so they can get better points next time.
None of us are perfect and we wont all have a perfect chapter session. Even Jubei failed some rolls and lost some points. Heck he even took a beating and ended up with a permanent scar.

Our last count had Jubei at about 18 points plus a few bonus points. The GM can give the players extra bonuses if he wishes depending on other factors like how involved and active were they. How well the story progressed and how interesting it was. How much fun everyone had. Points for the player doing heroic things or getting amazing rolls.

In jubei’s case the GM has given him bonus points so now Jubei has a total of 25 fame points to spend.
Generally the GM will tell players when they r getting the Fame points as we saw in this tutorial. At the end of the chapter the GM can award extra points.

So now Jubeis fame would read this way
Fame: 25

Now before we spend those points lets take a look at what we get for leveling.
Jubei will now read

Level: 2

Each level we climb we get a total of 3 attribute points to spend. We can place this in any of our attribute as well as our Attack sub attribute.
I will mark in red the changes Jubei has made to his character sheet.

Now Jubeis character sheet will look like this.

LEVEL: 2
Fame: 25

Attack: 13

We can see Jubei put his level points all in attack. He could have spent them on his other main attributes but he chose to increase his attack.

Well what about those fame points we got?

Well
We can buy things with these. They r like money in that way.
What can we buy with the Fame points?
Well we can purchase new skills, new abilities or even more level points to place on our attributes.

First I shall list the attribute costs
To buy one point in the following attributes you must spend the following amount of Fame points.
ATTRIBUTE COSTS

Constitution: 17
Strength: 15
Precision: 15
Agility: 16
Luck: 8
Intelligence: 7
Charisma: 9
Stamina: 12
Attack: 25

These may change later but for now these are the prices. It depends on how balanced or unbalanced the system works out to be. Consider this the alpha testing lol

The next thing we can buy are the main skills:
SKILLS COSTS
Combat Skills:
Kenjitsu: 50
Ninjitsu: 75
Kempo: 60
Kyudo : 65
Unorthodox: 85

Non Combat Skills costs:
Blacksmith: 30
Sword smith: 40
Armor Smith: 45
Weapon Smith: 65
Leather Worker: 20
Tailor: 15
Architect: 75
Hunter: 50
Farmer: 15
Wood Cutter: 20
Merchant: 35
Cook: 10
Musician: 15
Medical: 100

Diplomat: 15

The Final thing we can buy with Fame Points are the Abilities.
I will make a separate post with ability prices In my next big posting. Ive now been awake for 42 hours straight workin on all this stuff and am shot. Lol

So I hope this system works out and you all have fun.

Last edited by Yagyu; 03-15-2009 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost